Turkey always on roost?

Lybe8438

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 27, 2013
Enumclaw,WA
My Eastern hen Ellie always seems to be up on the roost perch every time I go out to the pen...She shares then pen with three laying hens and it's a pretty spacious pen..I know that when one of the hens went broody and had chicks she got beat up for getting too close to the chicks. But She hangs with the chickens just fine when they are out and about in the backyard... Is this normal or should she be on the ground more?

Need to stay out and observe for a bit. Is she getting down to eat and drink? If you push her off of roost do the chooks immediately start harassing her?

My Eastern hen Ellie always seems to be up on the roost perch every time I go out to the pen...She shares then pen with three laying hens and it's a pretty spacious pen..I know that when one of the hens went broody and had chicks she got beat up for getting too close to the chicks. But She hangs with the chickens just fine when they are out and about in the backyard... Is this normal or should she be on the ground more?

All cases of my turkeys not getting down from the roost have been due to the turkey getting hurt through a bad landing. Ivan3 has given you good advice. Do also check for limping once the turkey is on the ground.

She's Physically fine...No limping or any injuries...I'm thinking its the fact that the one hen that had chicks would always stay near the feeder and chase the other birds away because her chicks were nearby... I have since sold all the chicks, and the hens will let her eat and drink I just think she remembers how mean they used to be because when she is at the feeder and they come near you can tell she gets really nervous and flighty. The hens don't go after her anymore so I think it's just going to take some time for her to realize she's going to be ok.

Back
Top Bottom