Turkey attacks-- what would you do?

they'reHISchickens

Songster
11 Years
Oct 31, 2008
Reading
So, there is a town about 5 miles away that we travel to 2-4 times per month.
The first incident about a month ago left us LOL. We are coming along the rural road at a safe speed in our Suburban and there is a flock of turkeys in the road. We slow down. We stop. There is a huge Tom in front of us.They look large for wild birds but i am not a turkey expert. Tom proceeds to attack the Burbie front. We are laughing as I ( passenger) notice a car coming up behind us. Tom goes to drivers side and attacks. I lower the passenger window and start vocally *shhooooo*ing the flock into the nearby woods. Tom comes around front to my side and begins another attack, I say to DH, he's not in front, GO!. rear view shows Tom atttacking car behind us.
We laugh all the way to the feed store and see no sign of the flock on the way home.
A few weeks later we go the same way and in a tight S -turn down the road that weaves around an old but renewed farmstead, I spy the flock off to the side. Mention it to DH. Wonder if the farm owners have a heritage turkey flock.
Last week I was driving my car along the same road and in the middle of the S-turn ( did I mention it is blind in both directions?) there are the flock of turkeys in the middle of the road. I blasted the horn. Tom tries attack maneuver again. Blast Blast, he finally moves enough for me to get out of there. All I need is to be rear-ended by someone flying around that corner and I am sitting still in the middle of the road waiting for some turkey to move.

SO I ask you poultry people, what is the etiquette for turkeys on a public highway? On the straight stretches we can stop and laugh but i was really terrified of being rear ended in the middle of that S-turn.

We flip on the emergency blinkers, c-r-a-w-l over to one, or other, edge of the road, all the while honking. Also crank the radio to near-distortion level volume and just scan stations, hoping some genre will drive them off.

Considering they are sometimes only slightly upset by `big iron', a bit of scratched paint and a walking speed advance isn't too onerous:

Happened into a clearing in our woods, a few years back, on a `warm' Jan day, where hormones were flowing. Any other time of year this bunch would have silently faded into invisibility in an instant, as it was, I went on the retreat, backing on out to get some distance from the developing lek. Bunch of gobbling/trilling/putters looking to spar with whatever presented itself for a beating.

I'll take the curious and cross turkeys any day - suicidal ungulate rats keep one foot resting on the brake pedal at all times (fear the deer).

Back
Top Bottom