Turkey bachelor flock questions

First of all, I just love this post.. Seems crazy how those Toms just showed up and settled in like it was nothing! I love a bachelor flock and so happy yours are getting along.

About the toes of that one guy, I wanted to share my two cents.. I'm new to raising turkeys and had 2 BBW. One unfortunately passed when she was 3 months old, but her sister (Sunny) seemed fine just being in the flock with the chickens and guineas. All are free ranged. Sunny is now 7 months and was showing signs of wanting a mate and all that jazz which made me decide to get more turkey friends for her. Blah blah blah, sorry for the long story, but I found a guy that hatched a bunch of babies from his incubator and I bought 10. Picked them out in a hurry because I just wanted to get back home with them. Wasn't until I was home that I realized one of the turkeys had curled toes. Foot was flat but the toes curled to the side just like the picture you showed. Darnit🤦🏼‍♀️ I was so mad I didn't check them more thoroughly... So I just assumed the toes were a result of a vitamin deficiency, genetics, or fluctuating incubator temp/humidity levels. Maybe that's what happened to your Tom? I wouldn't recommend trying to see a vet about it. Waiting to see how my little guy does before making any "life-altering" decisions. However, if the one Tom you showed can survive that long in the wild, then I think my guy should do just fine!

This post is a couple months old, but I'm so happy I came across it. How is everyone today? Still together?

Back
Top Bottom