Turkey Breeding question.

ruralmom

Songster
13 Years
Aug 14, 2009
NW Colorado
this is my first year with turkey. I will make this as short as possible. George, BBB tom of 3ish years old, non heritage, jumbo in size. Gracey, BBB hen really nice, plus size lady. Two Beltville white toms, just a year old, two Beltville white hens same age. We had all the birds together till the Beltville white toms got spring fever and puberty. Starting beating up George and due to his size could not out run the younger tom. He is in with the chickens. All the others are in a large pen. The toms will not leave the pen for they are in love with Gracey. They have breed Gracey and have shown interest in the Beltville hens but the hens will have nothing to do with them. The hens fly over to where George is and try to intice, tease, flaunt and of course George can do nothing. My question is will the white hens ever allow the white toms to breed them? Do turkeys pick a mate and stick with that one? Do I have to get rid of George for the white hens to allow the other toms a chance?

Okay I hope I address all questions
smile.png
, No turkeys are not paired for life.

I would probably suggest that you separate the two flocks and that way you might have an opportunity for more fertile eggs. During mating season, males will be fighters or at least "contest" each others territorial space. Regarding the flying over phenomena if you want eggs that are for "purebreeds", you could either put landscape mesh over the top of the pen or you could clip carefully the wings and make sure that they could regrow.....Our permanent fencing is extra as well.

So no, I think Georgia could stay with utilising some of the above suggestions. Hope this helps....Nancy

Thanks could I ask a few more question: 1. how long will turkey eggs be fertile after breeding? 2. how frequently do they lay? 3. how long will they lay for? My turkeys are laying now and it is so not spring here. thanks a fellow nancy

Turkeys must breed once to make each egg fertile. Each egg gets it's own mating dance.

I don't like to keep my eggs any longer than 5 days (for incubaion) but they say 7 days is alright. Eggs must be kept in the 50 degree temp range with the large end up. They must be brought to room tempature slowly before incubation or it will shock the egg and it will die.
My turkeys lay every 2-3 days.
If you collect the eggs - she will keep laying up through fall. If your Tom does his daily job - this could mean a lot of fertilized eggs and new chicks.
If you don't collect the eggs and she starts sitting on them she will quit around 6 eggs to hatch them. If she doesn't sit on the eggs and go broody after 6 or 7 you have to pick them up or they will rot. Turkey hens will share the same nest box like chickens so I find it's best to collect them and incubate them myself... or to let a broody chicken hatch them.
I hope that helps some!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom