Turkey butchering "invention"

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Hummingbird Hollow, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    Hey folks, I had an idea that worked resonably well in making the handling and butchering of my turkeys easier. My husband purchased a heavy-duty laundry bag with a draw string top. I cut one of the bottom corners off to make a hole about 3 inches across. When I captured a turkey, I put the laundry bag over its head and put the turkey's head through the hole. It was then pretty easy to gather up the bottom of the bag and carry the over to the chopping block held snug and securely in the bag with it's head and neck out the hole. I held the turkey, snug in the bag while my friend stretched out the neck and used the hatchet to chop off its head. I ended up holding the turkey over the bucket to bleed it out and the bag kept the wings snug to the body.

When I butchered chickens I used the cone technique. I think the laundry bag, properly secured, might take the place of a cone next time.

2. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    That does work good, I just use a feed bag with the corner cut out and throw it away after use.

3. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    hmmm ...I REALLY wish I was smart enough to think of something like that when I was processing my turkeys. Maybe then I wouldn't need 3 people to hold the big toms down :/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by