Turkey chick emergency.

Andrewcodd23

Hatching
May 7, 2021
Hi guys I’m new here, I just wanted to say the last day has been very rough for my young Narraganset Turkey and I, she had her first hatch a week ago and I was told due to there motherly instincts to let her keep them and raise them herself. Well something got to her and her chicks last night and killed all 7 (couldn’t find them) and left her with a featherless back and bleeding. She is very upset I can tell and I was just wondering something. I bought 20 guinea fowl as chicks at my local tractor supply about a week and a half ago. Is there anyway or can I introduce her to a few little chicks. Or will she leave them and not care for them. I just want to make her feel better about herself and mine as well.

Hi guys I’m new here, I just wanted to say the last day has been very rough for my young Narraganset Turkey and I, she had her first hatch a week ago and I was told due to there motherly instincts to let her keep them and raise them herself. Well something got to her and her chicks last night and killed all 7 (couldn’t find them) and left her with a featherless back and bleeding. She is very upset I can tell and I was just wondering something. I bought 20 guinea fowl as chicks at my local tractor supply about a week and a half ago. Is there anyway or can I introduce her to a few little chicks. Or will she leave them and not care for them. I just want to make her feel better about herself and mine as well.
I don't recommend having a turkey or a chicken raise guinea keets due to the problems that imprinting can cause when the guineas become adults.

Turkey hens lose their poults often enough that they usually get over the loss in a couple of days. I personally take the poults away from them as soon as they are dry. Yes they mope around for a few days but it isn't long before they return to normal turkey activities.

However, if you want to see if she will accept the keets, place the keets in a pen and let the hen in with them. If she is going to accept the keets, she will coo at them and try to gather them all together. Remember that keets are tiny, fragile speed demons and that they would be safer in a brooder.

If she starts out by pecking at the keets, separate her from them immediately.

I don't recommend having a turkey or a chicken raise guinea keets due to the problems that imprinting can cause when the guineas become adults.

Turkey hens lose their poults often enough that they usually get over the loss in a couple of days. I personally take the poults away from them as soon as they are dry. Yes they mope around for a few days but it isn't long before they return to normal turkey activities.

However, if you want to see if she will accept the keets, place the keets in a pen and let the hen in with them. If she is going to accept the keets, she will coo at them and try to gather them all together. Remember that keets are tiny, fragile speed demons and that they would be safer in a brooder.

If she starts out by pecking at the keets, separate her from them immediately.
Ok thank you for the info, she is back in with her normal flock free ranging the horse pastures. So maybe she will just be better off until the next egg laying season comes.

She may start laying eggs in a couple of weeks.
Will the way her chicks were taken from her impact her in a negative way when it comes to sitting on the eggs again? This is what worries me. I am new to this. I know wild eastern turkeys where I live aren’t guaranteed chicks because of the predators and the Narraganset breed is off of the wild eastern Turkey. So I’m assuming that as she lost her poults this year maybe next year she will be a little bit more cautious with her babies, as a maturing eastern Turkey hen would do as well. But I’m once again assuming this.

Will the way her chicks were taken from her impact her in a negative way when it comes to sitting on the eggs again? This is what worries me. I am new to this. I know wild eastern turkeys where I live aren’t guaranteed chicks because of the predators and the Narraganset breed is off of the wild eastern Turkey. So I’m assuming that as she lost her poults this year maybe next year she will be a little bit more cautious with her babies, as a maturing eastern Turkey hen would do as well. But I’m once again assuming this.
It won't make any difference. When hens lose their first clutch of the year, they often set a second clutch.

Back
Top Bottom