Turkey Chicks

Twisted Acres

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 13, 2012
I put some turkey eggs under my broody chickens. They are due to hatch next weekend. How long should I keep the chicks with the hen?

I have not had great success raising Turkey Poults with a Turkey Hen. I have done it before on several occassions but the survival rate was dismal in both attempts. In succesive attempts, I chose to raise the poults myself and survival rates were much better.

You may want to consider brooding the poults yourself.

Turkeys are by far my favorite Poultry.
cool.png

Last edited:
I have a silkie raising a poult that I put under her as a live chick. He's smaller than his buddies back at the feed store, but seems healthy. I free range them and supplement with high protein treats (scrambled egg, hamburger, etc) in addition to the 28% feed he has available. Going on week 4 and he seems fine.

My broody is a turkey hen, not a silkie, but she's had her poults for a little over a week now and is doing a fabulous job caring for them. I did have to set her up in a dog crate though, when I let them out the poults were everywhere- popping in and out if my chainlink fence and scaring the bejesus out of their mama. I still let them out, but only when I can be there to supervise. I plan on leaving the poults with mom until she doesn't want them anymore. I figure she can be more attentive to them then I can. Good luck!
photobucket-14648-1336157844313.jpg

to semi answer your question, i don't know the exact weeks, i had a broody button quail hatch out a coturnix quail and he is still in there with her, at about 3 weeks now. he's bigger then her as well.

i say they can stay together under close supervision for as long as they want. If you see signs of well...anything bad, i'd then separate them

Back
Top Bottom