Turkey Egg questions

rnoyster

Songster
11 Years
Jan 20, 2009
Conway, South Carolina
Hey all, I finally got some assorted breed turkey eggs today. How long can they be held before being set in the incubator before I have trouble?
They were originally to be sent on the 9th, then on the 16th the breeder sent me an email stating that they were packed and ready to ship the next day (17th) Today, I received them and the postmark was the 19th! None were broken, none smell bad yet. Should I just go ahead and set them tomorrow after letting them set on the counter resting for about 14 hours? Or should I just pitch them and try again later? Thanks for your help.
Dick

Quote:
If I were you, I'd pitch them * * * into that shipping box and mail them to me...
lol.png
lol.png

Since you have them, I'd give it a try.. Nature has a way of survival.

Good luck..
cool.png

tongue.png

Last edited:
How long can they be held before being set in the incubator before I have trouble?

7-10 days for optimum results. Plus they would need to be stored correctly. But after about 10 days the hatch rate goes down every day after and drops off real fast !!!

I would go ahead and set them and see what you get out of them.​

NEVER toss an egg unless its seeping or green inside. I have had to hold eggs for 3 weeks and they hatched just fine. AND I didn't even turn them once while they were in storage.

Turkey hens lay an egg a day for 2 weeks or more until they have laid the full clutch they want to hatch. I have found nests in the wild with 17 or 18 eggs in them.

Mine are laying everyday.

When they are young they will lay daily. most of them will start to lay every other day after first clutch. If not then you got you some egg laying machines and hopefully that gene passes on.​

yes but when are they going to sit their fluffy little butts down and set their nests!!?!?

my year old bourbon red hens are laying like mad - but not brooding yet. this is insanely frustrating. i keep wondering if i should take up the eggs? give it one more day?

How many eggs does she have? I would not get concerned unless she has 15 or more and still is not sitting. I have been robbing my turkey nests all spring but have all I plan to incubate now. my wife thinks we have been eating a lot of chicken eggs the past two weeks but the turkey nests all have chicken eggs in them right now to keep them laying.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom