TURKEY EMERGENCY: TORN VENT

tiaaamarieee

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 11, 2013
Chicago
My blue slate tom was attacked by a dog and I am absolutely devastated. He was chased around for a good while before I caught the dog.

Upon inspection, I only found one, small puncture wound under his wing. I cleaned and put Neosporin on it -I'm not as concerned about it.

Something told me to check on him again and I realized the dog did a number on his fan (took all but two feathers) and managed to tear his vent. I am extremely concerned and have no idea where to go from here. I have pictures if that would be helpful. I know he's in a great deal of pain. My biggest concern is that he isn't able to poop. If anyone has any idea what I can do, anything will be appreciated. I would be a mess if I lost my boy.

Thanks.

Poor thing.
I know nothing about turkeys. But I can give a couple of suggestions.
Add your photos when you can, that way people more experienced with turkeys can see what's going on.
Tell us what emergency supplies you may have on hand. Saline, betadine, vetericyn, etc.
I'm sure you have him isolated in a quiet place so you can keep an eye on him.

You may want to pm @casportpony she is knowledgeable in treatment of different types of birds.

POST #5 she talks about what to clean a wound with: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1069691/injured-turkey

Hope this helps
hugs.gif

Poor thing.
I know nothing about turkeys. But I can give a couple of suggestions.
Add your photos when you can, that way people more experienced with turkeys can see what's going on.
Tell us what emergency supplies you may have on hand. Saline, betadine, vetericyn, etc.
I'm sure you have him isolated in a quiet place so you can keep an eye on him.

You may want to pm @casportpony
she is knowledgeable in treatment of different types of birds.

POST #5 she talks about what to clean a wound with:    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1069691/injured-turkey

Hope this helps:hugs

Thank you! I will try adding pictures as soon as I can. I actually do not have him separated at the moment. He's the only turkey I have and I believe it'll make him far more stressed than he already is. So I've been checking on him every hour. On hand, I only have topical antibiotics, injectable antibiotics, and betadine. If I can get out to TSC, I'll grab some vetericyn.

Thank you! I will try adding pictures as soon as I can. I actually do not have him separated at the moment. He's the only turkey I have and I believe it'll make him far more stressed than he already is. So I've been checking on him every hour. On hand, I only have topical antibiotics, injectable antibiotics, and betadine. If I can get out to TSC, I'll grab some vetericyn.

Did you pm @casportpony she is really good.
Were you able to cleanse the vent wound at all or just left it alone? You probably use diluted betadine or saline to flush it if need be.
Keep us posted.

Did you pm @casportpony
she is really good.
Were you able to cleanse the vent wound at all or just left it alone? You probably use diluted betadine or saline to flush it if need be.
Keep us posted.

I did not but I will now! I cleaned the vent last night with betadine and applied topical antibiotic for the time being. Seems to be acting okay today.

Pictures will be helpful. Injuries in this area can be life threatening, so would be best to get hm to a vet.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom