Turkey feed Question

kmartinez

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 9, 2015
I was reading a book on turkeys . I have visited all my local feed stores and only find the feed i give my ducks, gamebird feed but its 24% protein. I was wondering what are you feeding your turkeys. One woman i talked to locally said she gave them chick starter with kitten chow. But i read several things against feeding cat food.. Any advice is appreciated.

I feed 20% game bird feed, I am sure 24% would be fine. Maybe add something with a lower percentage protein to lower the overall protein intake.

i work at a feed store myself. turkey poults will be fine on regular, non medicated chick starter. however, that's only 18% and i don't recommend it. they wont grow near as fast on 18% as they do 30%. i feed mine 30% Purina startena and have had excellent luck with that. when they get a few months old i switch them over to my own mix that i feed my adult birds.

Last edited:
So,
I have 2 turkeys I'd like to feed this. Are the minerals and vitamins going to be okay? I can add more peas or lentils or flax for protein. Or is it okay as is? They are not meat birds, so I'm not worried about fattening them up, but I want them happy and healthy. I also have guineas that will eat the same food, should I be going with a layer or grower food? Is the calcium bad for them?

This is what they are currently eating, with adjusted protein levels. Is it okay to keep them on it as/is without more protein or other other vitamins / minerals too high or deficient?

This is the grower option

Last edited:
So,
I have 2 turkeys I'd like to feed this. Are the minerals and vitamins going to be okay? I can add more peas or lentils or flax for protein. Or is it okay as is? They are not meat birds, so I'm not worried about fattening them up, but I want them happy and healthy. I also have guineas that will eat the same food, should I be going with a layer or grower food? Is the calcium bad for them?

This is what they are currently eating, with adjusted protein levels. Is it okay to keep them on it as/is without more protein or other other vitamins / minerals too high or deficient?

This is the grower option

For adult turkeys, regular chicken layer food is fine.

For newly hatched poults 28% to 30% protein turkey or gamebird starter is what they need. Will they survive on chick starter, yes but they will not develop properly and it will affect them during their whole life. The first 2 weeks is the critical time when they really need the extra protein.

After the starter period a turkey or gamebird grower that is 24% protein is what they should be getting or a good quality meat bird grower is also okay.

For those that are buying 24% protein game bird starter, you are being ripped off. No reputable company will sell 24% protein as a game bird starter. A good company will sell 24% protein as a turkey or game bird grower but not as a starter.

Okay, I have raised turkeys on non medicated chick starter, they have turned out fine, I have seen no difference between chick and game bird as far as outcome, this year I went with the chick starter again, they are fine. I would not use layer ever for turkeys.

I did alot more research and my turkeys are eating chick crumbles, and I grind floating catfish food to combine. It becomes 28% protien. Mine did very nicely on it. My 2nd turkey baby crew is on it now, and they are also going great on it.

I would not use layer ever for turkeys.
Mine are 7 weeks old and my guineas are 9, so I need to switch them off starter food soon. I'm curious as to why no for laying feed? Are they too young or the nutrients are wrong? There are several females so they will be laying eggs, or do laying turkeys and guineas not require the same calcium levels as chickens? Is a better option to give them grower feed with oyster shell free choice?

Do you think the grower feed I linked would be sufficient then or should I amend it with certain vitamins / minerals or specific food items? They do free range, but during the week it's only an hour or 2 per day, weekends they get to run from sun up to sun down.

Back
Top Bottom