Turkey feeding help?

Sadseth1

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2020
I've owned cornish cross chickens currently and quail before and still today I drove a hour to get 2 turkeys form a free Craigslist ad. There black turkeys but the old women who had them couldn't take care of them. There suppose to be 6 months old but horribly under weight the tom 6.9 lbs and the hen 6.5 lbs. What should I feed these sick looking Turkey's?

My cornish cross and quail are feed a mixture of chicken feed plus 32% protein catfish feed when they want.

I've owned cornish cross chickens currently and quail before and still today I drove a hour to get 2 turkeys form a free Craigslist ad. There black turkeys but the old women who had them couldn't take care of them. There suppose to be 6 months old but horribly under weight the tom 6.9 lbs and the hen 6.5 lbs. What should I feed these sick looking Turkey's?

My cornish cross and quail are feed a mixture of chicken feed plus 32% protein catfish feed when they want.
If they are heritage turkeys, they may be a little under weight but not horribly if they are toms and just about right if they are hens. Six month old turkeys will do fine on a 20% protein all flock or flock raiser feed.

Heritage turkeys are supposed to be fed a straight 28% protein feed from start to finish.
Heritage turkeys should be fed a high protein turkey or game bird starter for the first 6 to 8 weeks. After that they should be fed a turkey or gamebird grower (usually 24% protein) for the next 6 weeks. After that they can be fed an adult feed such as an All Flock or Flock Raiser. Laying hens can be fed a quality layer feed.

Those that are being finished for processing can be fed a turkey finisher along with cracked corn if so desired.

Adult turkeys do not need a high protein feed.

Heritage turkeys should be fed a high protein turkey or game bird starter for the first 6 to 8 weeks. After that they should be fed a turkey or gamebird grower (usually 24% protein) for the next 6 weeks. After that they can be fed an adult feed such as an All Flock or Flock Raiser. Laying hens can be fed a quality layer feed.

Those that are being finished for processing can be fed a turkey finisher along with cracked corn if so desired.

Adult turkeys do not need a high protein feed.
Heritage Turkey require higher protein throughout. You can choose to malnourish them if this pleases you. But the literature and experienced turkey farmers that I have read/know suggest otherwise.

The feed schedule you suggest would be alright for broad breasted meat birds. Not recommended for heritage birds. Last week they should be finished on straight cracked corn then feed with held for slaughter. The extra expense for the required feed is why many farmers choose the heavy meat breed over the heritage birds and also accounts for the extra cost of the smaller heritage bird at market.

Heritage Turkey require higher protein throughout. You can choose to malnourish them if this pleases you. But the literature and experienced turkey farmers that I have read/know suggest otherwise.

The feed schedule you suggest would be alright for broad breasted meat birds. Not recommended for heritage birds. Last week they should be finished on straight cracked corn then feed with held for slaughter. The extra expense for the required feed is why many farmers choose the heavy meat breed over the heritage birds and also accounts for the extra cost of the smaller heritage bird at market.
You have been misinformed. I raise heritage turkeys and have for many years.

:thumbsup Again feel free to do as you like.

D58946AF-6DCE-4BBE-82C3-A037C85381EB.jpeg

:thumbsup Again feel free to do as you like.

View attachment 2288887
That study is strictly based on getting heritage turkeys to market weights as fast as possible. It is not a healthy diet for the breeding group. It is also not a healthy diet for longevity or all the turkeys that are being raised as pets.

I guarantee that my turkeys are not under nourished.

Back
Top Bottom