Turkey Gobblers Fighting

KOTurkeyRanch

Songster
10 Years
Jul 8, 2009
Western PA
I have two males and one hen. I think im bound, but before i have this problem i wanna know some tips. Just in case. I saw a video on youtube, and the gobblers would circle each other and then fly up and spur. This was about 2 minutes. Then it went and they bit each others head. They got pretty bloody. How bad is this? Will they fight to the death? The description said they fought for like a day and a half straight, will they ever quit in mating season? Any tips?

Well when i still had two gobblers (
hit.gif
) when they fought it wasnt very bad. I will say the worst thing was the feather loss.

The other day my Bourbon and a White Holland were going at it... I tried to distract them but they ignored me so I let them have at it. I only saw it that one time, and they seem to have settled their differences. Yours could have already done it when you weren't there to see. Nobody looks worse for the wear...

OK. Mine started or continued and i saw. They circle each other every minute they are out. I went up and saw the biting and stopped it. Right now i seperate them. One free ranges for a little, other is in the barn, then swap. Should i just let them settle it? They went at it all day today so far. Will they fight to the death? Any help is appreciated...

If they're roosting together at night you may as well let them settle it. If they're free ranging the loser will have a place to get away from the winner. If they're really serious they may bloody each other a bit, but it is seldom serious.

.....Alan.

In my experience, unless there are serious injuries, ie major blood, limping, anything broken, you shouldn't separate them, it only prolongs the fight because they didn't get to settle the issue. I had 13 toms at one time and they would get into some REALLY nasty fights, everyone would look worse for the wear but never any serious injury, minor blood, bruises, swelling. Even the tom on the bottom of the pecking order who got his butt beat most was never worse for the wear after a couple days. The worst fight I saw was the first time my top tom mated a hen, NASTY fight, I think he even did a little damage to the upper pallet of the bottom toms mouth, but 2 hours later they were inseparable buddies. It's the world of turkeys, not humans, we have to respect them for the way they deal with things.

Edited to add: Not one eye injury, every.

Last edited:
A.T. Hagan :

If they're roosting together at night you may as well let them settle it. If they're free ranging the loser will have a place to get away from the winner. If they're really serious they may bloody each other a bit, but it is seldom serious.

.....Alan.

Well the one is old so he doesnt roost. So i seperate them at night, the one roosts along with the hen and the old one lays down. I let them fly up and spur but when they bite i get nervous and seperate. I worry about one going blind. They usually circle each other, spur, then they bite heads and twist heads. Any suggestions?​

Quote:
Based on what u said i think im going to go let them go at it. But about them biting heads. Could they snap their neck or anything like that? I saw them, its very viscious!

Edited to ask: What was the injury to the upper pallet?

Last edited:
Quote:
I already responded to your pm but I thought I would post it here just in case anyone else is following this.

I can promise that when one submits the winner WILL keep pecking to enforce the lesson. I have seen my boys necks get bent completely backwards and twisted while fighting with absolutely no injuries. The injury to the pallet happened with they locked beaks. Top tom hand bottom toms top beak in his mouth and neither would let go for about 5 minutes as they wrestled their way across the yard, pushing and pulling. Once they finally finished fighting he had say 5 drops of blood from his mouth. Bottom tom was wheezing for about a week after that, still has to breath through his mouth when he struts but no other time. I think in time all symptoms heal up, this was about a month ago. All in all, bottom toms need to learn their place and that can only happen with a good butt kicking. Top tom is the only one that gets to mate and when he does it seems like he has a testosterone imbalance and wants to pummel bottom tom who is now mad because he didn't get to mate. I can't wait for autumn. hehe. boys will be boys.

Adding one more point... if you have ever butchered a turkey or have taken note of the neck in a store bought turkey you will notice that is it almost impossible to break, same goes for when they are alive. That is one strong piece of equipment God gave them.

Back
Top Bottom