Turkey Gravy Without Giblets?!

MrsDuck

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 6, 2010
Western WA
Help!

I just unwrapped our turkey to make the gravy (I do everything before T day that I can) and there aren't any giblets! I guess I'll have to mention this to them for next year, but what do I do this year??!? Do they sell just giblets at the store? Can I buy a chunk of turkey and make it from that? I can't go without gravy!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. I'll be going out later, and can pick up supplies if needed.

Thanks!

Oh, yeah. That bird was very carefully inspected. They're definitely not there.
sad.png

I always boil some chicken,either legs quarters or breast and skim the fat off the top and make gravy with that.I add some chicken meat and a boiled egg.Its a favorite here,my boys just love it.I promise you if I cooked turkey and dressing and no gravy they would refuse to eat and probably kick me out.LOL:)If you need more info about how I make it just let me know and I'd be happy to give you a step by step.

Use the pan drippings from the turkey for your gravy.
I chop up onions & celery and put them on the bottom of the pan underneath the roasting rack, then use the de-fatted drippings to make gravy along with chicken broth.

Quote:
Not a fan of giblets, so I do pretty much the same. I make it in the roasting pan while the turkey rests on the platter. Onions, celery, whole garlic cloves, herbs, peppercorns, etc. roast with the turkey, in the bottom of the pan. Then I add some butter, sprinkle with equal amount of flour and stir like mad while it gets the raw flour taste out. (Stirring with a whisk prevents lumps in the flour.) Once that's browned a bit I add chicken broth and cook it until it thickens. Then strain to get the vegetable chunks out, adjust seasonings and yum!

You can probably find chicken livers and gizzards at the grocery store. Use these as you would the giblets. If you also use the neck to make the broth for your gravey either add some extra water for broth to your turkey or use chicken broth or boil a couple of pieces of chicken such as thighs with the giblets to make the broth. Sounds like you already know how to make the gravey part.
My dad thought giblet gravey was the best part of the whole meal. It included chopped up boiled eggs also. No way would I have sat a Thanksgiving feast in front of him without giblet gravey!!!!

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

I guess I'm going to go to the grocery store to see what I can get to substitute... I'm still so disappointed, though. We paid extra for a local, heritage, organic bird and to not get the "extras" is kinda a bummer. I know it just won't be the same. If I can't get it today, we'll do the drippings method.

I've never heard of adding boiled egg to the gravy. I will have to try that some time. I'm not sure if the people I'm cooking for would freak out about that, so not for this meal, but sometime for sure! How finely do you dice it?

Thanks again!

Happy Thanksgiving!

If you just want broth made from the giblets no need to go to the grocery store. Around here most folks fix giblet gravy and have the giblets finely chopped and added back to the gravey (same with eggs).

If you just want broth for gravy, you can substitute chicken broth. I make mine on top of the stove. I add corn starch dissolved in cold water (about 1 tbsp) and some milk. Season with pepper, salt if needed. (then I add the giblets and egg). You could also melt some butter in pan, add equal amt of flour and stir in your broth and milk or seasoning as desired.

Thanksgiving certainly shows our diversity, stuffing is always cornbread around here and it is actually never stuffed but baked in a separate pan. I fill my turkey with celery, onion, garlic, thyme, rosemary and sage and some water. I have a moist bird and plenty of broth to make the dressing and gravy.

It is a bummer not to have gotten the giblets; they should have specified that. Hope it all works out for you.

Thanks, Carolyn. Yes, I was planning on adding the giblets back into the gravy.

My friend we are spending Thanksgiving with is a vegetarian, and makes an exception on T day for giblet gravy. I'll feel pretty bad if I can't find a way to make it happen. I'm going to run to the store as soon as this pie comes out of the oven.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom