Turkey having trouble walking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ebear82, Jan 17, 2010.

1. ebear82

ebear82 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2009
    Our turkey, who is a little less than a year old, was stumbling around the coop this morning. She'd take a step and then her right side would just collapse and she'd catch herself with her wing. Do you think it's because she's gotten too big? We were not planning on eating her, she's just a pet. She's a bronze-breasted. She also had just laid an egg when I went out there, so maybe her leg fell asleep [​IMG]. I'm hoping for anything that's not awful, can you tell? Any ideas would be appreciated. There is no visible injury of any kind.

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    possibly marek's? do a search on BYC for Marek's Disease and see if that fits.

3. ebear82

ebear82 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2009
    She's not acting like the leg is paralized...she can stand on it fine, it's when she goes to walk that she falls...like a lame horse goes down on the hurt leg. Any other ideas??

4. ChurkLover

ChurkLover Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    St. Louis
    Did you ever find out what was wrong? My bronze-breasted Tom is acting the same way...not sure what it is.

5. tinydancer87

tinydancer87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    SE Georgia
    If they are broad-breasted bronze, when they get older and heavier they can develop leg problems. That's why I only have heritage breeds now. I had a broad-breasted tom named Cletus, best pet ever. Sat down one day and couldn't get up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by