turkey housing

kelidei

~*Dances with chickens*~
10 Years
Mar 18, 2009
Northern Illinois
I have 5 RP's ready to go outside and we are building a nice big run for them this weekend. I am wondering what kind of shelter they need. I live in northern Illinois. I have coops for my chickens ... do they need something like that or would just a shelter from the wind and weather be sufficient? It would be inside a welded wire, covered enclosure...like the runs our chickens have (my husband reinforces them like Ft Knox). Right now they are in a pen in my garage... they need to go out ... NOW!
wink.png

Do you remember the story of the three little pigs? I built my turkey shelter/nesting area out of straw. It is 8 bails of straw lined up two at each side like a hollow square. Two pieces of 8X4' plywood goes over the top. The way the bailes are butted together leaves a opening like a door. They love it. Its like a little straw cave. I just remove the plywood and collect eggs everyday.

Quote:
I did this for a bottle calf I had. Worked really well!! I would just fill the straw house up with straw and the calf stayed nice and toasty!

*came in here to read on raising turkeys* hehe

Whatever you make be sure it's secure, I built my coop and run into what I thought was secure but am finding out different. I built the run with dog kennel fence panels reinforced that with welded wire up three feet, chicken wire on top with no gaps, and put a "skirt" of chicken wire around the bottom. I have noticed a mess of the chickens food and things being moved at night and didnt know how it was happening, last night I heard a familiar purr and went out to find three juvenile raccons in the coop eating chick feed, luckily I lock them in their coop at night or I would have lost some poults. No matter what I put my turkeys in I will lock them up at night, right now my three bronze 10 week old turkeys sleep in a 6x8 shed with a roost and a feeder/waterer

I keep them in a 17x35 pen with big coop in there. But,,they roost up on top of coop every night.They want to be up high. Also put some branches 2-4 feet off the ground with a roof over it. They will all roost together on that in garbage weather.Whatever you make they will want to be off the ground at night. Good luck
41721_turkey_coop.jpg

See the branch roost in the background,,they love it

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom