Turkey in the rain

Not if my chickens are anything to go by
1f60a.png
- they do the same.

Mine go about their business in the rain, don't seem to mind it at all - stand in it, sit in it and roost outside in it (I live in the PNW and we get a lot of rain). It's the wind that mine seem to dislike and they'll go into the barn if the wind blows their feathers the wrong way :rolleyes:

My Bourbon Reds love to roost high on top of the plastic canopy frame, where they're exposed to the elements and not in their cozy A-frame coop or in the fruit trees even. During the daytime I've seen them shelter a little bit to get out of the rain if it's coming down hard, but not at night when they roost. Many times I've found them sneezing with ice formed on their backs after a rain and a freeze. My fiance would try to wrangle them into the A-frame every night and also put up a big branch for them to roost in between the fruit trees, but they just prefer being together up at the highest point in the pen instead.

Mine is still a baby- was born April 5 and Got into a place where we couldn’t get him. I was going to go back out and give it a shot but it started lightning and storming like crazy. I’m worried about him not making it

My turkeys have a 3 sided shelter, a tractor shed and a tarp-fronted woodshed to choose from and the Red Bourbons choose to roost in the sycamore next to our garage and the Broad Breasted Bronzes perch on a branch I placed in their pen. It doesn't matter how hard it rains, lightnings or thunders, the RB's are in the tree and the BBB's are on their low roost branch when the sun goes down. They're about 3-1/2 months old now.

My adult Turkey hen stands in the pouring rain instead of taking shelter. Should I be worried?
No need to worry. My turkeys do the same thing and my chickens too. Only time my flock looks for shelter is if it's been a few days worth of rain and no sun.. They go under the porch or under the truck. Never once have they gone in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom