Turkey info

Chickfever

Songster
12 Years
Jul 22, 2007
Southwest VA
Hmmmm....guess this is the right place....sorry if it isn't.

Does anyone raise turkeys? Has anyone hatched them from an incubator? Do you keep them with your chickens? What about blackhead (or whatever it is....tired and can't think clearly so please look over me if that isn't want it's called....I almost put blackbeard
roll.png
).

Any info you can give me will be greatly appreciated
smile.png
!

We have blue slate turkeys and they are in the back yard with the chickens and guineas. No trouble at all. I wish chickens were as easy to deal with as the turkeys. We also hatch turkeys in the incubator. NEver had any trouble withthe black head though. What exactly are you wanting to know.

We raise wild eastern turkeys in large flight pens in accordance with PA Game Commission regulations. They require 25 square feet per bird minimum and roosts must be at least 4 feet off the ground. We do not raise them with or near chickens.

I think there are obvious reasons it sometimes doesn't work - size differences, different feed requirements, territorial roosters/toms, etc. Others raise them together and it works out fine. I guess it depends on what works, but be prepared to change your situation in a hurry if it doesn't work.

Here is some info on Blackhead disease...scroll down a little bit and there's good info on it for you.

http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/disproto.htm

Jody

Thank you both. Thanks for the link Jody! Very informative.

I guess I was just wondering if they were much different than chickens as far as predators, care, feed, water, environment, etc. I was also concerned about blackhead. I wonder if they would be okay if we put them in a run by themselves....with a board for the floor and putting some sod or some grass from another yard with them....?

Back
Top Bottom