Turkey laying on chicks

Snoopy11

Songster
Apr 21, 2022
Indiana
Hello everyone,

I wanted to post a question here to see what you all think. So... I had a broody hen who had been laying on eggs for a while. THAT... didn't work out... so I went to my local farm store and bought 10 chicks to replace the 10 eggs. The funny thing is... the hen is a turkey... and the chicks are... well... you know...

So... anyway, the turkey did end up taking to the chicks, and they are currently snuggling together in the coop.

Outside of feeding and watering... cleaning... etc... what should I do tomorrow... (we are supposed to have thunderstorms tomorrow). Should I open the coop door and let them go out into the run area... or should I just leave them in the coop for the day.

FYI... I took the day off just to keep an eye on them tomorrow...

Thank-you all for your advice!

Don

1652840060276.png

1652841819467.png

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I wanted to post a question here to see what you all think. So... I had a broody hen who had been laying on eggs for a while. THAT... didn't work out... so I went to my local farm store and bought 10 chicks to replace the 10 eggs. The funny thing is... the hen is a turkey... and the chicks are... well... you know...

So... anyway, the turkey did end up taking to the chicks, and they are currently snuggling together in the coop.

Outside of feeding and watering... cleaning... etc... what should I do tomorrow... (we are supposed to have thunderstorms tomorrow). Should I open the coop door and let them go out into the run area... or should I just leave them in the coop for the day.

FYI... I took the day off just to keep an eye on them tomorrow...

Thank-you all for your advice!

Don
How cute! What a good turkey mama!

I generally keep my mamas and babies separate from the rest of the flock for a while, just so everyone can get used to each other. Thrn I let them forage with everyone else.

Other folks do it differently, but i feel like a turkey mama would be a force to contend with. My hens wouldn't mess with her! Lol

generally keep my mamas and babies separate from the rest of the flock for a while, just so everyone can get used to each other. Thrn I let them forage with everyone els
Well, I am just trying to get my flock started. Right now... I just have 1 turkey, and now 11 chicks... so...

I am just very new to all of this... and not sure exactly what I should do. I have a turkey/chicken run attached to the coop area... so I can open the coop door and let them out into the run. I just wonder if I should let them out into the run tomorrow... and if so... how long should I let them stay out?

I appreciate any direction that you all can give!!!

Don

Well, I am just trying to get my flock started. Right now... I just have 1 turkey, and now 11 chicks... so...

I am just very new to all of this... and not sure exactly what I should do. I have a turkey/chicken run attached to the coop area... so I can open the coop door and let them out into the run. I just wonder if I should let them out into the run tomorrow... and if so... how long should I let them stay out?

I appreciate any direction that you all can give!!!

Don
If your run is secure, by all means, let them run around in it! If mama doesn't want to take thrm put yet, she won't.

It will be sooooo cute to watch!

If your run is secure, by all means, let them run around in it!
Okay, great, that is exactly what I needed to know. Yes, my run is very secure... and... father hen that I am... I probably won't let them out of my sight!!! LOL

What happened was... I made the broody come out of the coop, and go out to get water from the pond. Then I removed the dud eggs, put in the chicks in a neat heap, and she came back to the coop... looked sincerely shocked... and stood in the coop... wondering what to do. I moved her over to the chicks... and she got on them, then started tucking them in, with me helping.

I was grinning from ear to ear! Still am! :p

As for cleaning the coop, I do have pine shavings and straw down. How often should I remove this, or what are your recommendations for chick sanitation?

Again, I sincerely appreciate your time!

Don

Okay, great, that is exactly what I needed to know. Yes, my run is very secure... and... father hen that I am... I probably won't let them out of my sight!!! LOL

What happened was... I made the broody come out of the coop, and go out to get water from the pond. Then I removed the dud eggs, put in the chicks in a neat heap, and she came back to the coop... looked sincerely shocked... and stood in the coop... wondering what to do. I moved her over to the chicks... and she got on them, then started tucking them in, with me helping.

I was grinning from ear to ear! Still am! :p

As for cleaning the coop, I do have pine shavings and straw down. How often should I remove this, or what are your recommendations for chick sanitation?

Again, I sincerely appreciate your time!

Don
That's awesome!!!! You'll have to get pics!!!

I clean brooders daily, but when mama raises chicks for me, they're in my coop. I clean it weekly, just like normal.

I clean it weekly, just like normal.
Awesome, that is exactly what we will do.

I do have 1 more question. When they come out into the run area, should I have more food and water in the run area for them... or should I just leave the food/water in the coop and let them go back in to get it if they are hungry/thirsty?

Don

Awesome, that is exactly what we will do.

I do have 1 more question. When they come out into the run area, should I have more food and water in the run area for them... or should I just leave the food/water in the coop and let them go back in to get it if they are hungry/thirsty?

Don
Either is fine, in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom