Turkey leg advice

sirrobyn0

Songster
8 Years
Feb 1, 2015
Pacific Northwest
I think the pictures speak for themselves. His one leg is kicked out to the side. He seems to like to lay down with it out behind him. Does not seem to be the knee joint and don't feel anything out of place. We tried to put him in hobbles but then he falls on his back and can't get up. I'm about at the point off culling him to be honest, but he's a strong little one, so would like to help him if anyone has a suggestion I'm open.
20220612_202125 (1).jpg
20220612_202110.jpg

Looks like perosis, or slipped tendon. It's from a deficiency in general. What are you feeding? How old is this poult? It can show up as early as 10 days of age.

I think the pictures speak for themselves. His one leg is kicked out to the side. He seems to like to lay down with it out behind him. Does not seem to be the knee joint and don't feel anything out of place. We tried to put him in hobbles but then he falls on his back and can't get up. I'm about at the point off culling him to be honest, but he's a strong little one, so would like to help him if anyone has a suggestion I'm open. View attachment 3146975View attachment 3146974
Have you tried the cup technique?

It was hatched out of the egg like this so I doubt it's a feeding deficiency. I do not know what the cup technique is could you point me in the right direction on that thank you

Take a container small enough that it can't flip over in but big enough that it can sit or stand. The container needs to be tall enough that it can't jump out. Line the bottom of the container with a paper towel. A couple of days is all it should take.

Pour nutrition of the parents can result in deficiency in the available nutrition in the egg.

Take a container small enough that it can't flip over in but big enough that it can sit or stand. The container needs to be tall enough that it can't jump out. Line the bottom of the container with a paper towel. A couple of days is all it should take.

Pour nutrition of the parents can result in deficiency in the available nutrition in the egg.
Yes, I do understand that of course, but thanks for mentioning that specifically. I've hatched somewhere around 40 turkeys this season and haven't had an issue yet.

For feed the adults are fed a locally produced layer pellet type feed, 18% protein, they are given meal worms for treats and they get to free range during the day. The poults are feed the Purina Turkey feed starter, I can't remember off hand the protein % but it's higher.

I'll try the cup method. That sounds like a really great idea. How to you work getting feed and water in the little guy while he's in the cup?

I'll try the cup method. That sounds like a really great idea. How to you work getting feed and water in the little guy while he's in the cup?
Normally you do the cup method while they are still in the incubator when they don't need feed and water.

Yoi will need to take it out of the cup to feed and wster it.

Normally you do the cup method while they are still in the incubator when they don't need feed and water.

Yoi will need to take it out of the cup to feed and wster it.
Got it. This little guy was hatched by a Turkey hen so no incubator involved for this one. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom