Turkey Losing Feathers and now odd behavior

lordvoldemort

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 3, 2010
Lakeland
Ok, so my tom Lord Voldemort is almost a year old. The past week or so I have been noticing turkey feathers all over the yard (he pretty much goes wherever he wants to). At first I thought something must be attacking him. Now I've even seen them all in my goat pen and not even an unfamiliar cat can venture in there without them letting me know. They are all different sorts of feathers, even some of his nice, long tailfeathers but most of them are the shorter, fluffy ones. I hope this isn't a dumb question, but what could be causing this? He is my first adult turkey and I'm kind of paranoid about him after almost losing him to fowl pox as a poult. I know chickens moult (mine moult in the late fall) so I was wondering if that is what this could be... or if it may be stress, since he is my only grown turkey. If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Last edited:
My grown turkeys lose feathers all the time, not just molting. I have a bunch out in the yard too, but most of theirs have broken off either from the toms fighting, or shedding old wing feathers, or breaking off where their breasts rub against the boards where they roost. They're pretty sad looking right now. It's normal and nothing to really worry about.

I agree just molting. My turkeys do that all the time, they grow them back
wink.png

Today I couldn't find Voldemort. After searching for 15 minutes I realized he was in the dog crate that is housing my Cayuga hen's nest. About half of the eggs were gone so I figured he must have been eating them (he was standing over them). I fed everyone and he ate a little. I went back in the pen to see if the hen had returned to the nest. Well he was sitting there as proud as he could be on his new 'nest'. He absolutely refuses to leave now. I even tried to forcefully remove him, but to no avail. Is it common for toms to sit on nests? He has never been around other turkeys and always hangs out with the ducks. I also thought about it and the feather episode started right about the same time as the duck started sitting on her eggs (the first time I've ever had a broody duck as well). I think it must be moult because when I pick him up, feathers start falling out at the slightest touch.

I wish he would let the duck do her job, but I have no way of controlling him because he is a very good flier and gets into the pen no matter what I do. The poor little hen is so upset that this giant thing is now in her nesting spot lol. I really didn't need anymore ducks anyway, but I feel bad for the duck.

Back
Top Bottom