turkey off balance when walking

They were hatched 4-28-21. 2 1/2 months. They eat organic chick starter. Also grains I mix for my chickens. All organic. Milo - wheat- barley- oats- sunflower seeds - some peas. I have given them yogurt twice and apple cider Vinegar in the water. Also I let them free range every other day. Plenty of water. I have 11 turkeys. All hatched same day. Different breeds( reds , bronzes, blues) I have moved the two into a different pen. The red seems to be getting better very slow. The bronze seems worse.

I wanted organic starter. I figured 22% would be ok with the other grains. Their feed dishes are always full. all turkeys look healthy except these two. And it only started when temps got over 100 ( could be a coincidence ) I thought someone else might have had this happen, but so far no idea what it is ☹️

If food isn't completely impossible to pick apart (mash/fermented or in pellet form), birds can and usually will pick out their favorites and leave others. Like people. Sure, mangos or white meat might be pretty good for you, but if you're eating mainly that and hardly anything elsr, you're gonna become deficient

The starter is crumbles with 22% protein
Turkeys need a high protein turkey or game bird starter usually around 28% to 30% protein. It isn't just the protein level that is important. A proper starter for turkeys will also have the higher levels of lysine, methionine and niacin that they need for proper development.

BOSS is a low protein, high fat feed that is like candy to birds. They will pick out the BOSS in preference to everything else.

It probably isn't the whole problem with your sick poults. All of your poults will still benefit from being on a proper turkey or game bird starter.

Due to the chain feed stores often making their product decisions based on profitability rather than what is good for various poultry, it can be difficult to find a local source for the proper feed. Fortunately Chewy.com does carry proper starter for turkey and game birds. In my opinion it is reasonably priced and their shipping costs are also reasonable.

There are a number of different possible causes for your sick poults with coccidiosis being one of them. Those conditions can also be caused by moldy feed.

One helpful means of trying to diagnose the problem would be to have a vet do a fecal float for the sick birds.

Update: I have found organic turkey/game bird starter 28%. I took the two young turkeys to the vet. I wanted to make sure there were no diseases, since I want to start raising them.

The vet was not sure what was wrong. It was so hot and the turkeys were not 100% healthy so that made it worse on them. I did not want them to suffer any longer. I decided to have them both euthanized and decided to have a necropsy on both. The result, They found nothing out of the normal. I want to thank everyone for their advice. All the rest of my turkeys are doing good, growing very fast:)

Thank You
Sheila

Back
Top Bottom