turkey owners in canda, please answer

momof12

Chirping
Jun 1, 2020
Hi, we are trying to finalize our winter coop plans for our 2 adult turkeys and our 40 youngsters. they are currently 5 weeks old so the end of October they will be 13 weeks old. what do you all keep your adult turkeys in during the winter here in canada ? we are outside of Edmonton. our first snow is usually in October sometime, we have, stay on the ground snow by November and we often have at least a 2 week stretch of -40 in feb and we are almost never above freezing at night until april. we always have snow on the ground average of a foot to 3 foot deep. we have a coop 10 by 12 with a 10 by 20 run and also a paddock that is 40 ft by 25 ft. our littles are in a coop 10 by 12 with the same run and paddock.
Before we build another enclosure i need to know what you all in canada do?
we were thinking another coop but perhaps a 3 side lean to or a covered gazebo with side and roosts out side ?
or do we block the paddock with pallets on the fence to block wind and let them free range with the roosts out side ?
Also how old will the babes be before they are considered full grown and we treat them the same as far as outside time in the winter ?

We are also in Canada. We have turkeys I was hoping to winter in our barn (separate sections for chickens, and turkeys) I was hoping they'd winter similar to chickens, now you've got me curious. What breeds do you have?

Hi, we are trying to finalize our winter coop plans for our 2 adult turkeys and our 40 youngsters. they are currently 5 weeks old so the end of October they will be 13 weeks old. what do you all keep your adult turkeys in during the winter here in canada ? we are outside of Edmonton. our first snow is usually in October sometime, we have, stay on the ground snow by November and we often have at least a 2 week stretch of -40 in feb and we are almost never above freezing at night until april. we always have snow on the ground average of a foot to 3 foot deep. we have a coop 10 by 12 with a 10 by 20 run and also a paddock that is 40 ft by 25 ft. our littles are in a coop 10 by 12 with the same run and paddock.
Before we build another enclosure i need to know what you all in canada do?
we were thinking another coop but perhaps a 3 side lean to or a covered gazebo with side and roosts out side ?
or do we block the paddock with pallets on the fence to block wind and let them free range with the roosts out side ?
Also how old will the babes be before they are considered full grown and we treat them the same as far as outside time in the winter ?
Here in Wyoming it is common for the temperature to get to -30°F and frequently -20°F. On a very rare occasion do we get to -40°. At that temp, turkeys can benefit from shelter. Even down to -30°F my turkeys spend the nights on their outside roosts in all kinds of weather. Their roosts are in an area that is protected from the prevailing SW wind.

I typically begin allowing the poults to roost outside as soon as they are large enough to not be attractions for Great Horned owls. This is usually in the 3 to 6 month range.

We are also in Canada. We have turkeys I was hoping to winter in our barn (separate sections for chickens, and turkeys) I was hoping they'd winter similar to chickens, now you've got me curious. What breeds do you have?
We have 32 ridley Bronze turkeys from the u of s breeding line and 9 sweet grass turkeys. How about you ? and where are you located ?

Back
Top Bottom