turkey people, help

Chick_in_Indiana

Songster
12 Years
Dec 14, 2007
NE Indiana
I went to rural king and came home w/ 3 chicks and a turkey.
yippiechickie.gif
I've raised chickens, ducks, and guineas. Anything I need to know about turkies. Does anyone know of any good websites? Can you sex them this young? Thanks for any help, Krista
What do you call a baby turkey?
hu.gif

As far as I know about turkeys are the babys are called poults and you need to keep them on high protein game bird rations because of leg problems. Not sure if that only applies to meat breeds though. Also hear you shouldn't keep chickens and turkeys together due to black head, but many people do and have no problems. Congrats on the babies!

I raise my turkeys the same as my chickens. Sometimes I buy all game bird feed for my chicks and sometimes they all get chick starter. Just depends on what I can get at the moment.

I've never had a problem with blackhead before, but a friend of mine did. She lost all her turkeys in a matter of weeks. I never really believed it could be a problem, but apparently it was for her.

Other than that, there's not too much more care they need. You do have to keep an eye on them though. I swear they TRY to kill themselves. They aren't stupid in any sense, but they do get themselves into very strange predicaments.

Good luck with the new turkey!

yuckyuck.gif

I've never thought of that before but they do get themselves into weird problems. I had one turkey who was brooding with quail for a day or so decided he was going to "flush" with the quail babies (he was a couple days the quail were three weeks) well the poor thing tried hit the top of the brooder and broke its neck. Our very first turkey death. we moved the quail that very day ha ha ha. Crystal

Back
Top Bottom