Turkey poo question

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Spires6, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Spires6

Spires6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Ohio
    My son is raising 8 bronze turkeys for 4-H. They are almost 4 weeks old and seem to be doing well. We keep them in a brooder cage under heat at night and put them in an outside pen during the day. We change the bedding in the indoor brooder daily and are feeding a 24% commmercial turkey starter ration. We have noticed for about a week that their stools are very loose and 3-4 times I have seen little flecks of red in stools. Twice in the last week I have seen brick red stools. I have been reading up on turkey diseases and am trying to decide whether I should be treating these birds for coccidiosis. I have read that some people treat preventively but I am not sure what to use. I kept turkeys years ago and it seems I used teramycin. The book I have says to use a coccidiastat or sulfonamide. Anybody know what works best in turkey poults, where to get it and how much to use in a small flock?

2. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Sulmet is my preferred treatment. It works fast and it's already liquid, so it's easy to mix in the water. I would definitely treat them for cocci, and fast!

3. Spires6

Spires6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Ohio
    Thanks. Where can I get it? Would TSC have it?

4. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Yes TSC carries it. They probably picked it up from your outside pen. That's the reason we use medicated feed as it has a coccidiastat in the feed.

Steve in NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by