Turkey Poult Identification - Pictures Added

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by lordvoldemort, May 15, 2011.

1. lordvoldemort

lordvoldemort Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2010
    Lakeland
    Ok, I don't have any pics as of yet but I bought some hatching eggs from a local man that said his turkeys were Bronze. I never saw the adults in person, the pics I saw of them though looked like a regular bronze turkey to me. Some of my poults hatched yesterday, 4 look like bronze but with a red tint, 1 looks like a black poult and 2 are colored the same as the black (yellow face, very dark legs, dark beaks) except they are a deep red color.

Pics of one of the red poults (As of today, they are getting dark/black feathering)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pics of one of the black poults (As of today, they have a little red feathering)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A group shot of almost everyone:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  2. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    Sounds like the guy you bought eggs form has more than one typr of turkey, and maybe they are pen breeding to produce a number of crosses. Maybe the parents are already mixed breeds. Red bronze poults, which would come from a 1st generation cross of bronze and bourbon red, have the color pattern of bronzes but the dark parts are reddish brown and the white parts are pale yellow. Golden narragansetts are very similar. The black one is probably a black. I don't know what the others might be. Pictures would help.

3. lordvoldemort

Oct 3, 2010
    Lakeland
    Ok, since I have added pictures I thought maybe someone could guess as to what these poults are mixed with. I tried contacting the man I got the eggs from but I never heard back. I don't care if they are mix breeds cause I think they are all pretty cool [​IMG]

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I can't help you with the poults but I love your name!

5. lordvoldemort

Oct 3, 2010
    Lakeland
    Thanks! That is the name of my resident grown turkey. All of the poults are going to have Potter-ish names as well. The black ones will mostly be named after the 'bad' guys lol. I also had a goat named Severus a few years ago [​IMG]

6. MissTurkey4

MissTurkey4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Your black poults with the red are called rusty blacks. You can breed thgem together to produce jersey buffs. Since they look to be split bronze they could also produce Bourbon reds.

If the parent turkeys looked bronze then these masked poults are not from them. It is impossible. Black based birds are dominate and will always show. It cannot be a hidden gene.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  7. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    All my livestock are named after HP stuff. Our goats were Bella and Fleur while their kids were Sirius, Lupin, Tonks, and Dobby. All the chickens that have names are HP names. I am at the point with them now though that I can't keep track of them to name them so the only ones with names are the older hens.

8. lordvoldemort

Oct 3, 2010
    Lakeland
    So if they are not bronze, then what would the mostly yellow poults be?

9. MissTurkey4

MissTurkey4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Quote:Those could be bronze but they are little young for me to say I am 100% sure. Some colors look the same at first. Post some pictures in a few weeks.

10. NevadaRon

NevadaRon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Dayton
    Two or three of those certainly look very similar to the Bronze's I have.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by