turkey poult needs help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by oodymex, Aug 8, 2009.

1. oodymex

oodymex In the Brooder

Nov 17, 2008
    North Carolina
    i just hatched2 turkey poults, more are still hatching, but the second one that has hatched has not been able to open its eyes, it hatched early this morning like about 6am. the one that hatched before it opened its eyes as soon as it hatched. anything i can do? or should do? camera isn't working or else id put a pic up. can poults/chiciks hatch blind?

2. threehorses

threehorses Songster

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston
    Is it active like the other? Are they still in the incubator? (You shouldn't open the incubator during hatch time.) If he's out, you could put a drop of warm water on each eyelid in case the glue-like mucus from the egg keeps his eyes closed. Otherwise, examine him and look to see if they're truly unable to open - or if he's just tired.

Make sure, of course, that they're in a dry and warm place, the proper temp for week one, with no drafts.

3. oodymex

oodymex In the Brooder

Nov 17, 2008
    North Carolina
    it's still in the incubator with its brother and more that are currently hatching. but it runs around the incubator like a clumsy blind bird. i watched it for a good 15 20 minutes b/c i thought it was tired also but no luck it didn't open its eyes but i could notice its eyeball squirming under his eyelid. the other poult opens his eyes fine. aghh idk wat to doooo

4. threehorses

threehorses Songster

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston
    Quote:Well he'll be good without opening his eyes til he gets out, so that's good news. Leave him in there for the sake of the whole flock.

When you get him out, dampen those eyelids and gently see what you can find. I've seen some get their eyes glued (temporarily) like that during hatch if humidity was low.

5. oodymex

oodymex In the Brooder

Nov 17, 2008
    North Carolina
    okay guess i'll just wait till the last egg hatches and then i'll work my magic. thx

6. threehorses

threehorses Songster

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston
    Quote:I'd love to hear how it goes! What breeds did you breed? We're big turkey fans here.

7. oodymex

oodymex In the Brooder

Nov 17, 2008
    North Carolina
    i did what you said and it worked!!! the lil fella is able to see fine now. i think they are porter caclicos. thx for your help!

8. threehorses

threehorses Songster

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston
    Quote:YAY!! Yep sometimes they just get what I call "chick glue" on them. I'm so relieved! I just looked up the porter calicos and they look gorgeous! Good luck with those babies. [​IMG]

9. chunky_ficken

chunky_ficken In the Brooder

Jun 19, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: