Turkey Poult Questions - (Sexing, Care, etc)

Pics
He escaped out of the little fenced in area I had for them and I found him dead in the corner. The cage is inside the run so either the turkey got cold and died or got attacked by the chickens and died.
You will need to make the little fenced area escape proof. Adult hens can and will snatch and kill any small chicks they can get at. Which includes pulling them through chicken wire. Ask me how I know. :he

So your chicken chicks are not safe either. Sure, they may understand their momma’s broody clucks better and come back when she calls, but she cannot protect them if they get out where the other chickens are without her.

I also recently stumbled across an opportunity to get a turkey poult (still wondering if I should), and I want to prevent blackhead. I have read about using cayenne pepper, but would it be safe for the poult? Will their stomachs be able to handle and digest it?

IMG_5182.jpeg
IMG_5183.jpeg
IMG_5185.jpeg
IMG_5186.jpeg

Guessing it’s a hen?
@R2elk

I am no pro, but I always handle my poults as much as possible. Now that the ones we haven’t processed are almost a year old, I can clip wings, file Tom’s nails if needed, treat wounds, and generally pick them up and mess with them as needed. They don’t love it, but they tolerate it generally very well.
We have Holland White and bourbon red.
Breeding groups are separated. Bachelors have their own tractor away from the others.
I had to stop letting them free range once they came of age ☹️ Because they didn’t want to go munch on things more than they wanted to go fence fight when I tried to rotate groups that were out 🤦‍♀️
I never let them peck at me, even when tiny. It’s NOT cute when they are 20, 30, 40#!
I treat them like my horses- you don’t come into my space, but I can come into yours. It’s not mean to correct them, and usually just takes a loud NO our a swift push, perhaps standing up w a voice correction.
Anyone who is continually aggressive goes to freezer camp. I don’t want to continue those genetics, or put up w a bird that big who thinks s/he needs to challenge any of us.
I love our mini pterodactyls - I have found them to be extremely enjoyable and ours are actually more friendly than our (nice bit a bit skittish) Welsh harlequin ducks.
We have no chickens, so I can’t speak to that comparison.

I am no pro, but I always handle my poults as much as possible. Now that the ones we haven’t processed are almost a year old, I can clip wings, file Tom’s nails if needed, treat wounds, and generally pick them up and mess with them as needed. They don’t love it, but they tolerate it generally very well.
We have Holland White and bourbon red.
Breeding groups are separated. Bachelors have their own tractor away from the others.
I had to stop letting them free range once they came of age ☹️ Because they didn’t want to go munch on things more than they wanted to go fence fight when I tried to rotate groups that were out 🤦‍♀️
I never let them peck at me, even when tiny. It’s NOT cute when they are 20, 30, 40#!
I treat them like my horses- you don’t come into my space, but I can come into yours. It’s not mean to correct them, and usually just takes a loud NO our a swift push, perhaps standing up w a voice correction.
Anyone who is continually aggressive goes to freezer camp. I don’t want to continue those genetics, or put up w a bird that big who thinks s/he needs to challenge any of us.
I love our mini pterodactyls - I have found them to be extremely enjoyable and ours are actually more friendly than our (nice bit a bit skittish) Welsh harlequin ducks.
We have no chickens, so I can’t speak to that comparison.
I go out of my way to avoid imprinting poults. All of the human aggressive turkeys that I have had to deal with were ones that had been human imprinted as poults. Once turkeys are mature, they are relatively easy to teach. I have no problem catching the adults and administering anything that needs taken care of.

The first thing I taught the youngsters is to be herded. Now the adults do it for me.

If you are going to keep multiple groups of turkeys it is in your interest to have a "no see through barrier" on fences to prevent the fence fighting. It is also prudent to not use poultry fencing as that can cut like a knife and can take a snood right off.

I go out of my way to avoid imprinting poults. All of the human aggressive turkeys that I have had to deal with were ones that had been human imprinted as poults. Once turkeys are mature, they are relatively easy to teach. I have no problem catching the adults and administering anything that needs taken care of.

The first thing I taught the youngsters is to be herded. Now the adults do it for me.

If you are going to keep multiple groups of turkeys it is in your interest to have a "no see through barrier" on fences to prevent the fence fighting. It is also prudent to not use poultry fencing as that can cut like a knife and can take a snood right off.
Thank you. I will happily try your method w my newer babies. Again. Greenhorn 😉
Happy to ask for and take advice!
Teaching the young adults to be herded was easy for us.
I will go back to the drawing board on fencing, and, as always, very much appreciate your insights!

Thank you. I will happily try your method w my newer babies. Again. Greenhorn 😉
Happy to ask for and take advice!
Teaching the young adults to be herded was easy for us.
I will go back to the drawing board on fencing, and, as always, very much appreciate your insights!
As far as fencing goes, my perimeter fence is 2" x 4" x 6' welded wire that does not have a top bar or rail. It is not a desirable perch site and helps prevent unintentional escapes.

Back
Top Bottom