Turkey poult *Sour Crop?*

Feathered Wings

Songster
11 Years
Oct 9, 2008
Georgia
I have 2 turkey poults they are about 2 months old and i have had them since they were a few days old.
They were eating crumbles but since they are big enough i have started them on pellets.
The last couple weeks i have been offering them scratch grains in a small amount which is basically corn and wheat.
Friday i notice one's crop was very full and pendulous i remarked how she must be a big eater.
Well today Sunday morning her i noticed it was the same and she was drinking water.

Our close friends had a sudden death in their family they lost their son to a auto accident Friday morning.
We have been with them and helping them out during this very sad time.
So i have not been as attentive as i should have been.

So this morning the crop appeared to be the same as it was friday morning.
I took her out and examined it and it is definately not impacted it's just very full and mushy.
My son helped me and i caught her and expelled some of the liquid from her crop and it was just watery feed.
There was a sour smell but not bad enough to make you gag or anything.
I massaged it really well and did as much as she would let me do and put her back in her pen.
She hasn't lost any weight and has for the most part been in good spirits.
Her poo is perfect not runny it's firm and looks like regular turkey poop.

What is the best course to take for this?

Should i completely drain the crop or will me massaging it and expelling some it relieve the problem?

What about a molasses flush i have used that when my chickens have digestion problems and it works well?

Remove feed? (there is another turkey poult with her)

I didn't get a answer yesterday so i flushed her crop twice she seems to be better today.
I will be keeping a eye on her all day not due to go to the funeral home until late this afternoon.

Just was wanting to know if anyone would know why this happened so i might could possibly prevent it from happening in the future?

I haven't had that problem with any of mine but just maybe something got hung in her crop and therefore wouldn't let anything else pass through, just a thought. Hope the turkey gets better and prayers for the family that lost their son, let them know they are in our prayers. Thanks

Quote:
Thank you so much for the prayers this has been devastating to our friends and we have been there for them much as we can.

It has been a very sad time and i haven't had the time to be attentive to my animals just been doing feed and water.

My turkey seems to be doing good or at least better than yesterday.
we don't have to be to the funeral home till later this evening so i will be checking all day.
I really need some time with my animals they really do help me to relieve some of the stress i have been under and i really need that today.

Thanks again for the Prayers
hugs.gif

Do your turkeys have grit? They must have access to grit (or small stones if they free-range) otherwise they cannot digest their food. Since you have now added scratch grains they need the grit in order to break up the grains and digest it. I have a feeling that is the problem, especially since it started happening when you switched food.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks for your response sorry i was so late getting back here.
I have tried to be with my friends as much as possible who are grieving the loss of their son.

She is Doing great today i gave her only water yesterday and rinsed her crop again.
This morning she was begging for food so i gave her some crumbles .
I'm sure she is going to be just fine.

(edited for spelling mistake it's been a hard and sad time these last few days)
sad.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks for your response sorry i was so late getting back here.
I have tried to be with my friends as much as possible who are grieving the loss of their son.

She is Doing great today i gave her only water yesterday and rinsed her crop again.
This morning she was begging for food so i gave her some crumbles .
I'm sure she is going to be just fine.

(edited for spelling mistake it's been a hard and sad time these last few days)
sad.png

Glad to hear it. I'm also wondering if they do have grit?

Back
Top Bottom