Turkey Poult with Swollen Eye

Jessi.Smith

Songster
Sep 30, 2018
Texas
I have a 3 1/2 week turkey poult with a swollen/protruding eye.

I examined it, the best I could, and it appears that the eyeball itself is swollen. I was unable to pull the lid down and take a picture at the same time. But it can open the lid. There was a little discharge, but I cleaned it off and held a warm compress to the eye.

The other eye looks perfectly fine and the other poults are all fine.

Any thoughts on what is going on and/or suggestions to treat?
20221201_164502.jpg

Screenshot_20221201-171542_Gallery.jpg

In the second tissue, it looks like swollen tissue. Does she have any bubbles or gunk in either eye, nasal drainage, sneeze, or noisy breathing? Could she have injured the eyelid or been pecked? It may be a sign of a respiratory disease such as mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) but hard to know without testing. Have you added any new birds recently? Tylosin powder in the water or Tylan50 injectable can help treat symptoms if it is MG. I would irrigate the eye with saline or eye wash, and use a bit of either Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin ointment 2-3 times a day in the eye.

I hatched these and they are still in the brooder, separated from my flock. The other eye looks 100% normal, she is active and I did not observe any respiratory symptoms. There are 2 other poults and 2 chicks in the brooder with her, so it is possible she got pecked or something.
When she opens the eye, it looks like the eyeball is swollen, but I couldn't get a picture of that.
I will start some neosporin in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom