Turkey Poults! Turkey Poults!

Lizzy733

Crowing
5 Years
Nov 13, 2018
New Zealand
I've found a breeder who has mixed parentage poults for sale - coming up 3 weeks old. Going to go pick up 5 this weekend as my establishing flock!

Been looking forward to getting some turkey for our new block and these are just squeaking in before move day on Monday.

More birds to move šŸ¤£, am I a crazy poultry lady yet? We're really pushing that 6 chook urban limit now!

There's our 3 old hens, plus our 6 babies from the October hatch (half roosters), a new silkie POL I brought home last Friday cause I wanted another broody and now all these little poults to come!

One of my baby šŸ“ is getting pretty good at crowing, but thankfully my neighbours don't seem to be fussed and we have 3 days left till moving day!

Can't wait to get everyone happy and settled in their new home. Thankfully, we've sorted all our integrations ahead of time and I've set aside chook packing boxes and picked out travel buddies. I gave everyone a drench on wed so we'll hopefully be leaving our greebles behind and will be giving everyone a scoop of polyaid the night before travel.

Now.... Just need to figure out how to sheep, because the 7 ewes and 1 ram that come with the property have turned into about 20 since the chattels list was written up. And I don't think that counts the ones being grown out for slaughter which are in with the ram. Will need to do a proper head count once we're up there. Thankfully, NZ, so everyone is on pasture and no supplemental feeding needed, but they're due for a shear next month, so trial by šŸ”„!

NZ is pretty much sheep country and it's in everyone's blood once you get rural. We've already had a bunch of friends and fam put their hands up to help us with shearing, slaughter and butchering, so we should do okay.

Somebody is very sleepy after a day on the lawn. Five little poults all tame as can be. One white, two lighter and two darker. Two, maybe three look to be jakes... guess we'll have to wait and see.

Being used to chickens, the behavioral differences are pretty interesting. If anybody has any insights into this unique turkey language, let me know!

IMG_20211127_190123.jpg

Back
Top Bottom