turkey price

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by BigBirdHatcher, Nov 28, 2011.

1. BigBirdHatcher

BigBirdHatcher Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2011
    Odessa
    I have a chance to buy a trio of Rio turkeys.
    I do not know a whole lot about raising turkeys so i was wondering a few things.
    Ok first off, how much is the trio worth and how much should I spend on them if i have to make the 3 hour drive to pick them up ??
    They birds are supposed to be this years hatch and be laying age ?? Will they still lay eggs in the winter since they are yearlings ??
    Also what should I look for to make sure im getting what im being told I am ??
    And lastly, what are turkey eggs/chicks going for ??
    All of this and any other advice or tips would be greatly appreciated, Thanks !! [​IMG]

2. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    I don't think I can answer all your questions as I am still learning. I don't think the hens will lay this winter but in the spring they sould depending on when they were hatched.

Turkey eggs were going for 30/doz and poults were going for $7/poult that was last year from local sources. Hatcherys wanted 15 more poults in an order and for me I couldn't see raising that many without trying to raise a few before jumping over my head. (as it is I have 8).

In the spring I saw mating pairs go for $50-$150. (kicking myself on the pair for 50)

Good luck, I am enjoying my big birds and am learning a ton about them! We also ate the two broad breasted I raised over the summer and they tasted great. Can't wait to try one of my bourbon reds.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello!

Well, hopefully you already have a pic of the Rio breed. (I haven't heard of that breed, but I'm in my first year raising turkeys.)

Now, I bought my day old poults (baby turkeys) at a swap meet, and they hatched out on May 19th. My hen just started laying last week, but I do light my coop for the chickens, so that may have thrown her off...Normally they won't lay until springtime, I'm told.

My poults cost $7.00 each. I was lucky enough to get a tom and a hen. They were straight run.

Take care, and here's a pic! I honestly don't know what a pair would cost....So sorry!
    [​IMG]
    This pic was taken probably a month ago.

4. BigBirdHatcher

Nov 13, 2011
    Odessa
    Alright, thank you so much for replying. Any help is appreciated.
    So do you think $100 is a fair price for a trio ??
    Thanks again.

5. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    Quote:x2 about the same in TX the trio will run about 90 to 150 depending on the seller and what you are willing to give. i kind of figure about $1.50 a lb live weight for an adult bird when I buy them. I wont go higher unless they are really nice. at less than a year the jakes beard will just be showing on his breast. less than an inch long. They grow about an inch a year. and the spurs should be showing but will be short.

6. BigBirdHatcher

Nov 13, 2011
    Odessa
    Thanks for your input. Nice birds by the way, I like them. What kind are they ??
    Theyre supposed to be Rio Grande turkey but I honestly dont know how to tell the difference. They look like wild turkey to me but im no expert [​IMG]

7. BigBirdHatcher

Nov 13, 2011
    Odessa
    Thanks jasonm11, I didnt even think about buying by weight.

8. java girl 2

java girl 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    NY
    Quote:yep that is a good price for any trio of turkeys if they are this years. if The birds are supposed to be this years hatch then they will not lay 'till spring but my turkey hens will lay in jan/feb/mar if I put 16 hour lights on them. I live in ny. [​IMG]

9. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm PA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Collins, Arkansas
  10. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Quote:What part of Texas are you? That is a fair price. Rio Grande is a native turkey here in Texas and you would have to have a permit to have and sell. Who ever is more than likely selling bronze as rio's. I do have a Tom that is a Rio cross but I still call him a bronze. Here is some info on them. Rio's are very sleek with thin, long and dark legs.

http://www.nwtf.org/all_about_turkeys/history_rio_grande_wild_turkey.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by