Turkey pulling her feathers out

Glenn Atkinson

In the Brooder
Nov 11, 2017
St.Cloud Florida
I have the female domestic turkey all white with black feathers not sure what is going on with her I have owned her for over a year no problems at all now she is pulling her own feathers out constantly I mean she will come up on the front porch and when I come outside they'll be 15 feathers laying on the ground then she'll come back and do it again any suggestions

She is most likely molting. If she is physically pulling them out it may be from stress. Not sure if turkeys do this but it is common in stressed parrots. If she is only pulling feathers from her belly area she may be broody. There is also a chance that anther turkey or animal is picking on her if you don't see her pulling out the feathers herself. Not sure what to do about this since I am unsure why it is happening. It should be okay, I would only become very worried if it is making her bleed.

She is most likely molting. If she is physically pulling them out it may be from stress. Not sure if turkeys do this but it is common in stressed parrots. If she is only pulling feathers from her belly area she may be broody. There is also a chance that anther turkey or animal is picking on her if you don't see her pulling out the feathers herself. Not sure what to do about this since I am unsure why it is happening. It should be okay, I would only become very worried if it is making her bleed.
Yeah she has no blood at all. does it take very much pressure for the feathers to come out when they're molting I mean if they're grooming their self while they're molting can their feathers just start falling out. I have had her for a little over a year and never seen this happen not sure if it's her first time molting or not

My turkey shed and pen currently looks like they all exploded. Your hen is molting. My turkeys tend to molt hard. It can be shocking to see.

I'm pretty sure it is just her first molt. The feathers do get very loose and could come out if she is gently preening them or moving around. This is the right time of year for them to do so, about half of my flock looks like they got run over!

I have the female domestic turkey all white with black feathers not sure what is going on with her I have owned her for over a year no problems at all now she is pulling her own feathers out constantly I mean she will come up on the front porch and when I come outside they'll be 15 feathers laying on the ground then she'll come back and do it again any suggestions
Ok so I got this from google because I didnt know what melting was and I have a female turkey (about 1 1/2 years old) & this is the 1st time currently doing THE SAME THING I mean she almost BARE with few feathers left but I DO see beautiful new feathers growing in so here is what google told me.........
Chickens, ducks, and turkeys tend to molt once a year once they become adults. ... Other species will molt from their juvenile plumage to adult plumage and then twice a year when adults. Molting is natural and nothing to worry about. It just means the season is changing. I hope this helped you. 😊

Ok so I got this from google because I didnt know what melting was and I have a female turkey (about 1 1/2 years old) & this is the 1st time currently doing THE SAME THING I mean she almost BARE with few feathers left but I DO see beautiful new feathers growing in so here is what google told me.........
Chickens, ducks, and turkeys tend to molt once a year once they become adults. ... Other species will molt from their juvenile plumage to adult plumage and then twice a year when adults. Molting is natural and nothing to worry about. It just means the season is changing. I hope this helped you. 😊
Sorry molting my phone like to auto correct me lol

Back
Top Bottom