Turkey question

LuvMyPlucky

Hatching
Aug 5, 2016
Virginia

Hello everyone! I'm new to this site but have followed it for awhile and finally decided to join. I got 2 Artisan gold turkeys back in April, they were raised together up until recently. My babies Plucky and Spunky are around 5 months old now but a week ago, we went out for about an hour and a half came home and my boy turkey Spunky was gone, we have looked everywhere, trees, ponds, woods, checked with our neighbors and haven't seen or heard him. Needless to say I have been devastated and that is an understatement. I got them as pets not for food for anyone ever. They were kept in the house, then in front of the house in their own little area & coop until they were big enough to be moved into our bigger coop with our chickens (18 Chickens & 3 ducks) and ducks. They got along beautifully. We let all of them out to roam around freely everyday and had never had any problems, Plucky and Spunky were always together, we live out in the country so they had plenty of room to roam around. I knew something was wrong when we came home and my sweet little Plucky came running up to me almost in a panic like she was trying to tell me something and when I didn't see him I knew something wasn't right. Later that night when she was going into the coop she stood outside the coop door calling out for him, it was the most heartbreaking thing I have ever witnessed and I'm fighting back tears trying to write this. It has been a week and there is no sign of him anywhere, no feathers, nothing. My husband thinks he just left, maybe he heard some wild turkeys and went with them but I just don't know. I want my Spunky back but I have accepted that he's gone but that doesn't stop the tears or the heartache I feel, my turkeys are my babies & I love them dearly. My question is I am looking into possibly getting my Plucky a female friend, she is 3 months old and a different breed of turkey and I am trying to find out if it would be a good thing to do for her? I don't want her to be lonely since she has always had her mate up until last week. I'm worried about whether they will bond or not, if they would get along since they weren't raised together? My Plucky is very tame and such a sweet baby I don't want to make a mistake but I feel like she needs a friend. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance, I just want to do right by her so she can be the happiest she can be.

I can't imagine something got him because any time my turkeys were attacked there was a LOT of feathers. Have your searched the surrounding area for evidence? The fact that he is not coming back to the sounds of his friends calling is a bad sign, though
1f61e.png

I would have to agree, there aren't signs of anything. I called out for him, my husband looked for him and our daughter. There's just no signs of anything. I would give anything to have just stayed home that evening, I am really struggling with it. I wish I knew what happened in such a short time. It's the not knowing that's killing me.
1f622.png
1f622.png
1f622.png
1f622.png

Back
Top Bottom