Turkey questions

That's really good to know I would have never even thought about the varieties instead of breed. Do you know of any good heritage varieties?

Choice of a heritage variety depends on what you want them for. Some varieties are big and some can be very small.

Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys is an excellent site to learn about many of the different heritage varieties.

I'm looking for meat birds I'll look at their website thank you

Check out Valley of the Moon Poults. They sell the broad breasted varieties already sexed or straight run. They also sell some varieties that are said to be in between heritage turkeys and broad breasted turkeys and are supposed to be able to reproduce naturally.

You have to download their PDF file in order to see the varieties available and their prices. They also sell hatching eggs if you are so inclined.

Thanks everyone so much! I'm pretty sure I want to get some, so I'm trying to decide on breeds. I think I definitely want some meat birds so I was thinking of getting 7 or 8 and then keeping a tom and some hens for next next seson to breed for the next group for meat. I'm sure other people do this how does it work for you guys? What breeds do you guys like to keep? And what kind of coop run area do you keep for them?
Any of the heritage breeds that can naturally produce without AI. We have Narragansett and Royal Palm. The Narragansett are larger and make good meat birds. They grow pretty fast too.

Back
Top Bottom