1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Turkey questions

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by grasspack, Mar 19, 2012.

1. grasspack

grasspack Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Deering NH
    Hello,

Our family is considering adding a few turkeys..maybe a breeding trio and raise a few for ourselves for the freezer. For all of you that have turkeys, I was wondering if you think I would have better luck raising the turkeys from babies or buying a trio that are full grown? Also, my turkeys will have their own pasture and shed and I plan on locking them up at night. Can any of you send me some pictures of your turkey pens? This pasture has 5 foot high woven wire fencing.

Thanks so much in advance.

Oh, also thinking of putting a guard llama in there for them too? Can anyone see any issues with this?

Appreciate your help.

2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    I'd go with the poults. If they imprint on you and know where the food always is, they'll be much more unlikely to roam (5 ft. fence is nothing to any turk but the Broad Breasted adults). Don't know if you are familiar with ALBC, but they have some excellent info on raising turkeys on pasture: http://www.albc-usa.org/downloads.html .

Know nothing about using llamas, sorry.

Good luck!

3. grasspack

grasspack Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Deering NH
    Hello

Thanks for getting back to me...I think poults are probably the way to go. It is tempting to want to get grown birds that are already laying but then I worry about health issues too. I have heard that turkey poults are hard to raise, is that true?

Thanks again,

Alice

4. FarmerGilland

FarmerGilland Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    On Top of the Mountain
    What I have experienced with the older turkeys that you buy is that they are very skiddish around you. If you raise them from babies they are easier to train and they won't be so scared of you. As far as the llama....I have not a clue!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by