Turkey questions

LillianMae

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 15, 2013
Oregon
Can anybody direct me to a sticky about caring for turkeys? I saw one about raising them but none about caring for them. If not then I have a few questions.
1. Can they be kept with chickens?
2. How much space do they need in a coop, run, roost, etc.
3. Do they need a special feed
4. What kinds are commonly sold (I don't want any for meat though)
5. Can you eat their eggs?
6. How do you sex them as chicks, how old do they have to be, etc.
Thank you!

Can anybody direct me to a sticky about caring for turkeys? I saw one about raising them but none about caring for them. If not then I have a few questions.
1. Can they be kept with chickens?
2. How much space do they need in a coop, run, roost, etc.
3. Do they need a special feed
4. What kinds are commonly sold (I don't want any for meat though)
5. Can you eat their eggs?
6. How do you sex them as chicks, how old do they have to be, etc.
Thank you!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-turkeys-what-do-i-need-to-know#post_11309891

1. Turkeys can be kept with chickens if Blackhead is not a problem in your area.
3. Turkey poults need a high protein feed of at least 26% protein to get them off to a good start. Adults do fine on a 16% protein diet.
4. There are many types of heritage breeds available such as Bourbon Reds, Royal Palms, Blue Slates, Heritage Bronze and others.
5. Turkey eggs are edible and some prefer them over chicken eggs.
6. Commercial turkeys are now feather sexed. Celie has posted a guide that can be helpful in determining turkey sex at a young age. Heritage turkeys do not as yet appear to be able to be feather sexed.

Thanks! One more question, can I just keep two, or do I need more then that?

That is up to you of course. You could keep just one but the turkeys will be happier if you keep more than that. It is much healthier for the hens if you keep 4 or 5 hens for 1 tom. Many people do keep just one tom and one hen. If that is the case, the hen needs to be protected from the tom once she goes broody.

Back
Top Bottom