Turkey Roaster

SunAngel

Songster
11 Years
May 20, 2008
Chambersburg, Pa.
Would anyone happen to know for sure if those table top roaster ovens (for turkeys and whatnot) cook in the same time frames as a regular oven? I will read the instructions, but sometimes they aren't quite as truthful as they should be. Was curious what other peoples experiences with them are.

I just bought mine (a 22 qt Rival), haven't even unpacked it yet, so I am relying on a lot. But since its just us and DHs parents, I'm not really under much pressure.

ETA: I have a 22lb turkey to cook in it.

Last edited:
I used my Nesco roaster to cook a 24+ pound turkey this past Sunday. This was the first time I've cooked a turkey in it. I did not stuff the turkey. We felt it cooked somewhat faster than our regular gas oven. I would say maybe an hour faster than what I expected. But, I should add that we carve the turkey and serve it on a platter instead of carving at the table. In doing this, we like to have the meat almost falling off the bones. And, I do use a thermometer to test when it's done.
Hope this helps some and I sure hope it makes sense.

Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving.

Thanks so much for your response!

Faster is fine with me, I was just leary that it might take longer and wouldn't be done in time. I won't be stuffing mine either and my oven is gas also, so maybe I will have similar results. I also don't carve my turkey at the table, no room for that, so noone else cares what it looks like beforehand but me, they just want it to taste good lol.

Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving too
smile.png

I always cook my turkey in the roaster. I find it to be faster as well.

Julia Child had a tip to cut the leg/thigh off so that it cooks even faster and the breast stays moister. She showed a way of putting it back together so it could be carved at the table, but since I don't I didn't pay any attention to that part.

I cooked a turkey in a table top roaster last year and it took 45 minutes longer then what it said on the instuctions. I always wait for the popper timer to pop on my turkey. Sure is nice to have a roaster and free up the oven for rolls, casserols, and pie.
tongue.png

Well at least its only hubbys parents coming over, so dont really care what time we eat lol

Thats why I bought it, I figured there would be less time juggling for use of the oven!

Sorry, I just saw the post so you already used it, but in the future with a new one make sure you turn it on first and let it heat ahead of your first use to "burn" off the coating from the factory. I read this in the manual and I am glad I did it because it smoked a little. Never had a problem after that. I did a 34 lb. (yes, I got it to fit but barely) BBB in mine that I raised, I sauted some garlic and onion in butter in the bottom then put that in and on the turkey and then added a little water to the roaster and it turned out perfect.

Thanks for the response!

I made sure I read and reread the instructions prior to using, so luckily I let it preheat first. The booklet called for 5 hours and it only took 4 hours, so the turkey was done a little early, but it was still good. It was nice to have the oven free for other stuff! I am glad I bought it!

Back
Top Bottom