Turkey Roosts

boxermom

Songster
10 Years
Feb 22, 2009
Spencer,IA
My DH is getting ready to build roosts for my chicks and turks. I have 6 8wk old BR. I plan to keep 1 Tom and 2 hens over the winter. How high and wide should the roosts be? I'm thinking "ladder" style.

Because turkeys seem to be constantly changing there pecking order and since those that are higher in the pecking order will try to roost higher. We make the roost all the same level to reduce the number of challenges.

Generally 2 to 3 foot high, 2x4's set so the wide side is up, with about 2 feet between the 2x4's. We place them so there is at least 1 1/2 to 2 feet from any wall or fence.

Any other objects place in there area that is higher will also become a roost.

Tom

Is there any truth to the notion that BB birds need lower roosts because as they get bigger they cant heave themselves up too high? I did mine ladder style figuring the big toms would need something a little lower as they got bigger and that maybe the smaller hens would want a break...

Is there any truth to the notion that BB birds need lower roosts because as they get bigger they cant heave themselves up too high? I did mine ladder style figuring the big toms would need something a little lower as they got bigger and that maybe the smaller hens would want a break...

Yes the BB turkeys will need to have lower roosts as they will not be able to get up on them if they are too high. A ladder style would be best for them. Not too high though as they jump off from too high they could break a leg on landing.

thanks. I went and cut down some young poplar trees and made a laddre style roost in our tractor/pen thing. The branches are about 3-4 inches thick and spaced two feet apart. Rigth now all 18 remaining turkeys fit on the top one but I planned for two feet of roost space per bird just to be sure (and because they turned out to be mostly BB)
Since turkeys weigh more I would keep the "sturdy" factor in mind too!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom