Turkey/Tom Humping the air??

Bcoz18

Songster
Apr 20, 2020
Saint Charles Missouri
Weve never owned turkeys before so we got 1 tom and 1 hen back in april/may. They were maybe 4/5 weeks old. All of a sudden just noticed today that he's humping the air and kind of stumbling in circles? I Google it and of course YouTube videos come up. Does that mean he wants to mate? Is there a issue?

Weve never owned turkeys before so we got 1 tom and 1 hen back in april/may. They were maybe 4/5 weeks old. All of a sudden just noticed today that he's humping the air and kind of stumbling in circles? I Google it and of course YouTube videos come up. Does that mean he wants to mate? Is there a issue?
He is masturbating which is normal. It typically occurs late in breeding season when the hens are more interested in setting eggs than breeding.

My Bourbon Reds never did this 15 years ago. My last flock of Bourbon Reds also never did this. But my Blue Slate? Boy howdy, he'd do it all day, every day if he could. Constantly. It was awful. Especially if it was quiet enough outside to hear him. :sick

My Bourbon Reds never did this 15 years ago. My last flock of Bourbon Reds also never did this. But my Blue Slate? Boy howdy, he'd do it all day, every day if he could. Constantly. It was awful. Especially if it was quiet enough outside to hear him. :sick
Every variety that I have had including Bourbon Reds did this. They wouldn't start until late in breeding season when the hens weren't available.

I had one the other day doing his own thing he just can't wait, (he is getting too excited) :D All my toms have been getting fired up for breeding, displaying starting to get a little aggressive toward each other. Need to finish separating them into their breeding pens and groups.

My Royal Palm Tom does this all year long to the air, kids toys, giant snowballs, even sweatshirts and shoes whatever he decides looks good 😊😜

My Royal Palm Tom does this all year long to the air, kids toys, giant snowballs, even sweatshirts and shoes whatever he decides looks good 😊😜
EXACTLY! Our one Penciled Tom loves to demonstrate his prowess to his rubber water dish. It's almost impossible to touch them to heard them somewhere because they start stomping and dancing and won't walk!

Back
Top Bottom