Turkey verities

May 23, 2024
Completely new to the poultry game.
I’m looking into getting some turkeys. I’ve found some that are “heritage turkey poults cross between Black Spanish, Bourbon Reds and Bronze”
These any good? I’m hoping for family holiday meals. So not selling them. And I’m also not trying to get scammed. I don’t know where to start. I’m from the city but my spouse is a rancher. We have a ranch so space/ time isn’t an issue and we have chickens.

Completely new to the poultry game.
I’m looking into getting some turkeys. I’ve found some that are “heritage turkey poults cross between Black Spanish, Bourbon Reds and Bronze”
These any good? I’m hoping for family holiday meals. So not selling them. And I’m also not trying to get scammed. I don’t know where to start. I’m from the city but my spouse is a rancher. We have a ranch so space/ time isn’t an issue and we have chickens.
No way to know what they are. There really isn't a Black Spanish turkey anymore. They were Black turkeys that were raised in Spain. Nowadays some people call any black turkey a Black Spanish no matter if it is a Black or a Barred Black, etc.

You can learn a lot about the heritage varieties at Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys.

Back
Top Bottom