turkey+vodka=tender?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by vatterpa, Oct 20, 2010.

1. vatterpa

vatterpa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Indiana, PA
    I was watching the Fabulous Beekman Boys and they said on there that Martha gives her birds vodka right before she has them killed to relax them. It is supposed to keep the meat from tensing up. Anyone tried this? Does this mean you wouldn't have to let them rest?

2. DIYSeattle

DIYSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Maple Leaf
    I have a friend from Peru adn they do the same thing there, except they give them Pisco. I do not why, only that they do.

3. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Do they forcefully feed them Vodka? I can't see them going for it on free will... A bit strong. I would try beer. Mine (some of them anyway) love it.

4. vatterpa

vatterpa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Indiana, PA
    they use a sringe and tubing. I think that gives new meaning to drunken chicken! Anyone else on here try it?

5. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    I think I could use an Absolute martini also if I knew my head was about to be cut off.

6. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    You know what keeps my meat from tensing up? Wine. It doesn't get more relaxed than the fourth glass of wine after a long day. But I'm not wasting that on birds ... unless it's part of a marinade. [​IMG]

7. fleurdujour

fleurdujour Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2010
    My father's favorite Thanksgiving story is when he was about 4 or 5, the family sent him out to feed the turkey wine soaked bread....in anticipation of Thanksgiving Dinner....only problem....HE ate all the wine soaked bread [​IMG]

8. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    oh that's a great family story! I bet mine would drink it all on their own, a few of them are antifreeze addicts

I'm taking a bunch of culls to the butcher in two weeks, I'll try it on some!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  10. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

turkey + vodka = a tender, napping me [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by