Turkey Vulture Migration

OmaBird

Songster
9 Years
May 10, 2010
CA High Desert
Is anyone else in the path of the turkey vulture migration? Last night my turkeys where so quite and looking up. I am sure they thought they where dinner. The sky was black in migrating turkey voluture. By the time I got my camera most of them had already past. A few stayed in the trees for a few minutes. It was like a sceen from The Birds. We get 30,000 turkey vulture fly over us. It was cool. It look like they flew out of the mountains down to the desert. They can glide so fast.

57076_turkey_voltures_047_2.jpg

It looked like the turkeys tried to take cover.
57076_2010_turkeys_2_078.jpg

I love to see them, too.

Here in SE Michigan, I believe they are supposed to migrate south, but several times I have seen them in the winter. A few years ago, I went back to school for a different career, and saw a small group of them all winter hanging out on the tops of the buildings at the university -- I think they liked the warm air being exhausted by the ventilation systems, and there was always plenty of roadkill from the traffic on local roads.

I'm sure most of them still do go south for the winter, then they come back up here in March and early April.

In Hinckley, Ohio, they are said to always return every year on March 15th. Don't know if its true or not.

Back
Top Bottom