Turkey Vulture Stalking My Peeps

Happycowdog

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 26, 2010
Tipp City, Ohio
I origionally posted in the section "Raising Baby Chicks." I got a great answer, but I thought as a reminder to some of us we should be aware. I am new at this so bear with me!

I have researched and thought about all predators that could possibly kill our chickens. I just got three chicks, two light Brahmas and an Easter Egger. They are 4 weeks old. I have been letting them out of the brooder and they follow me all over the yard. They are a riot!

Anyway, before I let them out, I put the cat up and our cattledog Jack. Jack absolutely loves them, but he is too big right now and I am afraid he would step on one or better yet, give one of his herding snaps and we would have an accident. So I have been really careful.

This past week I noticed a turkey vulture flying low over our property. I keep the brooder in the yard under the shade tree, and I have been letting the chicks out about three times a day when I can watch them. That vulture likes to fly over starting at the time I place the brooder in the yard. Do you think he has heard the peeps and do you think it is possible that he would try nab one? My husband says vultures will go after small game.

Last edited:
I would look for carrion (dead meat) around your house, the vulture is proubly looking for a dead meal. But the smell of the chicks' poo could have attracted it. I would keep the chicks in doors for a few days until the bird moves on.

I haven't had a problem with the turkey vultures or crows bothering the adult birds but I did lose some ducklings to them (crows and vultures) earlier this year so I'd keep a close eye on them. I haven't noticed either species being as bold as the hawks so they'll probably be fine while you're around, but don't leave them out when you're not around.

I have read in books that turkey vultures will take small animals. They are supposed to be the only vulture species in North America that will do so. I'm not a vulture expert so that information is only as good as my source material. I personally have never seen one attack anything except road kill and a roo that dogs had killed while I was at work.

Either way...when it comes to my birds, I live by the motto "better safe than sorry".

I have TONS of TVs (
gig.gif
laughing at the abrivation, geeze, I am tierd) flying around here and none have gone for chicks as young as five weeks. Knock on wood. I don't worry about them. They cruise this valley seemingly non stop all day and have many a chance if they wanted to. That is just my experience though.

Last edited:
We have a pair of vultures that nest right by our chicken area and we've never had a problem with them at all. They fly low and in circles constantly, but the only thing I notice from them is that they keep the roos on their toes
big_smile.png
I've never had them swoop down at all-a vulture only will eat dead meat.
sickbyc.gif

We have a huge flock of them that stay in our area. a good 20 + of them. I have never had any problems, they do swoop down low to look for carrion.However this morning the dogs were barking and a COYOTE was chasing some of my roos!!!!!!!!!! AAGGHH!!

Back
Top Bottom