Turkey wings??

NatalieB

Songster
10 Years
Jun 27, 2009
Ashby, MA
So I am new to turkeys and I got my self a couple beauties! I cut their wings so they cant fly away to get used to their surrounding. Doing very well I must say. So about how long will it take for them to grow back and should I bother to cut them again? I just don't want them sitting on my husbands car cause that will be a great way to become a meal instead of a pet........any thoughts?? Thanks!!

Aww! By the title, I thought you were going to share a recipe!
droolin.gif

Clipping wings won't keep them from flying up onto a vehicle if they want to. I had some BBW turkeys with clipped wings (they were about 4 months old so not at the point where they got too heavy to fly) and they could still get up on a 6 foot fence. That being said, they should NOT be loose if their wings are clipped. While they can still fly up to perch, it can reduce their chances of escaping from predators.

well ok.......thanks. I had no idea! I will not be telling my husband about that info. lol They are only about 4 months old and stay about 5-10 feet away from the coop. Thank you Frosty will watch out for my babies
smile.png

These must be broad breasted turkeys if they don't roam at all. Will be dinner soon if they are
droolin.gif

ColbyNTX, at 2 months old I had to go about 1/4 mile down the road to get my BBW turkeys back... They were down by the railroad tracks. Mine will wander pretty far up until the day that we prep them for dinner if they get the chance so I don't think that would tell if they are Broad Breasted or not. They are probably nervous because of the new surroundings and staying close to food/shelter right now. As they feel more comfortable they'll probably expand their territory.

Editing to add that the turkeys were 2 months old, not me...
tongue.png

Last edited:
I've been dealing with turkeys a long time. They can hop onto a car. Trimming only one of their wings only keeps them from flying any distance.

Even with properly clipped wings, they can still "power jump" awfully high. My midget whites vertical jump 8' - and I'm "sure" I clipped them right - so now I don't even bother. They learned to stay on the happy side of the fence eventually.

Back
Top Bottom