Turkey with huge spurs

jellobutt

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 19, 2013
Idaho
We have a heritage tom with giant spurs. He really messed up our BBW hen when he bred with he the last time. Cut her to the bone. I want a cross between the two, but I can't If he kills her in the process. How can I shorten his spurs? I have read about using a hot potatoe or super gluing wire nut to them. What works best to protect her? Thanks.
idunno.gif

Hen injury is very common in turkeys. Since she actually got hurt bad, it would be wise to get a breeding saddle for her.

The problem probably was not the spurs.. or they aren't the sole problem. His nails could be doing the damage especially if he likes to stand and dance on the hen for a good while before breeding her. Some toms will do this for what seems like 10-20 minutes or the hen has had enough and breaks it off before he completes the act, only to squat again soon. Then he stands on her back for 10-20 minutes all over again...

Some hens or lines, and it seems to be a particular problem in broad breasteds, some hens want to be bred WAY too often and those end getting hurt by squatting down and either letting too many toms to breed her too often or if only one tom is available he may be induced into 'dancing' on her but not overly enthused about completing the act because he had already done it several times.. every day. Also some of those hens can be so intent on being bred they will still squat for breeding even with serious injuries already on their bodies. I'd guess your hen is one of those.

With hens like that a saddle is a must and also good idea to have them separated and let him with her once a week.. turkey hens are excellent at holding and keeping sperm for weeks, much better than chickens so they really do not need to bred that often anyways. Also a tom with only a rare chance at breeding is sometimes more likely to shorten the whole silly "dancing on the hen" business which reduces the time for him to injure her.

Last edited:
Where might I find a saddle for her? She is the type to squat many times a day, and even for us. She is very docile. The kids love it cause they can hug her.
lau.gif
He is not to much of a dancer.

Yeah as suspected- too frequent squatter. She definitely needs a saddle more than anything else. Sorry couldn't help with where to get saddles... try the turkey part of the forum?

That's a pro of squatters- easy to catch! ;)

Back
Top Bottom