Turkey with neck / throat issue

sirrobyn0

Songster
8 Years
Feb 1, 2015
Pacific Northwest
I've done a search both here and on the web, and I can't find anything about this issue and part of it is I'm having a terrible time describing it. So we have a turkey tom who has recently developed an odd throat / neck issue. When I watch him it is as if his neck expands and contracts while he is breathing. It seemed when it first happened as if I could see a point, and what I mean by that is my partner said it almost looked like his tongue was below his beak and he was trying to stick it out and back in. Obviously it's not his tongue, and to me it seems like it has gone from that to more of an inflation and deflation.... Kind of. It's the best I can do for a description. I think he's been having trouble with this for about a week. He's been eating and drinking and going about his business normally.

Here are some pics. I've cropped them down and blown up the pics to make it easier to see but of course some clarity is lost. If anyone wants to see the originals let me know.

Below his neck looking normal:
turkey issue2.jpg

His neck issue:
turkey issue.jpg

And that thing below his beak you'd just see it go in and out and in and out. Seems to me like it's a little less pronounced now, but still doing it.

Whatcha think? Thanks.

I've done a search both here and on the web, and I can't find anything about this issue and part of it is I'm having a terrible time describing it. So we have a turkey tom who has recently developed an odd throat / neck issue. When I watch him it is as if his neck expands and contracts while he is breathing. It seemed when it first happened as if I could see a point, and what I mean by that is my partner said it almost looked like his tongue was below his beak and he was trying to stick it out and back in. Obviously it's not his tongue, and to me it seems like it has gone from that to more of an inflation and deflation.... Kind of. It's the best I can do for a description. I think he's been having trouble with this for about a week. He's been eating and drinking and going about his business normally.

Here are some pics. I've cropped them down and blown up the pics to make it easier to see but of course some clarity is lost. If anyone wants to see the originals let me know.

Below his neck looking normal:
View attachment 3683418

His neck issue:
View attachment 3683419
And that thing below his beak you'd just see it go in and out and in and out. Seems to me like it's a little less pronounced now, but still doing it.

Whatcha think? Thanks.
Check to see if it feels like it is full of air or if it feels like a swollen tissue.

Check to see if it feels like it is full of air or if it feels like a swollen tissue.
Like I said it looks like a tongue but obviously that can't be. I will try to get hold of him to see if it's soft of hard, but I can't see how something that protrudes and then withdraws every second or two, I just can't see how that could be swollen tissue. I'm also not sure how it could be air, but of the two choices that seems the most likely. I will check in the morning.

Like I said it looks like a tongue but obviously that can't be. I will try to get hold of him to see if it's soft of hard, but I can't see how something that protrudes and then withdraws every second or two, I just can't see how that could be swollen tissue. I'm also not sure how it could be air, but of the two choices that seems the most likely. I will check in the morning.
Turkeys have been known to get air leakage problems. It normally results with the throat and head area blowing up like a balloon.

The reason I suspect air leakage is your description of how it appears to react to his breathing.

Turkeys have been known to get air leakage problems. It normally results with the throat and head area blowing up like a balloon.

The reason I suspect air leakage is your description of how it appears to react to his breathing.
I had another turkey with air leakage issues, but his deal was full body. Had to drain his air out a couple times then he seemed to heal, so I know what your talking about. This guy seems to be just his neck though.

Any update?

Back
Top Bottom