1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

turkeys and chickens

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by coffeepheasant, Jun 19, 2011.

1. coffeepheasant

coffeepheasant Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2011
    i have a large pultry shed, with 11 or so hens and cockerl, some muscovies and geese, i was wondering if some turkeys would be ok with them. I am especially worried about agressivness and BLACKHEAD !!!!!!! any help would be nice. thanx

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I have all of my animals together and no problems. You may want to check to see if blackhead is common in your area.

3. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:X2 Check with your local state or county extension service office about Blackhead reports in your area and go for it. As long as they have enough room, they will work it out.

4. slc

slc Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    Upper Michigan
    Get a couple chicks with the poults or hatch some chicken eggs with the turkey eggs. Poults will bond with the chicks and learn flock protocol from them. They will integrate very well and bond with the chicken flock.

When I introduce new birds to the flock I always put them in a netted area in the house/coop. I use a pvc frame and deer netting so it appears they are all in together but the netting prevents direct attacks until everyone is used to each other. This has worked very well.

I also keep fish-zole on hand in case of blackhead, not because of the integrated flock but in case it pops up from the environment. If your turkeys go outdoors they can be exposed regardless if you keep other fowl or not.

5. coffeepheasant

coffeepheasant Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2011
    Thankxs guys, i think i will defo get some turkeys know!!!! [​IMG] any pictures of ur flocks would be cool thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by