Turkeys and thumping

Plain_View_Farm

Songster
11 Years
Apr 5, 2008
Central Virginia
OK, so I've been meaning to ask about this and I keep forgetting until I'm not near the computer.
The Turkeys outside started my curiosity. When you thump on say a board or the roof of their shelter or even the hood of the truck the boys Gobble. Typically 3 times...
When you thump on something in the house the poults make a yelping sound and perk up. I've even seen a few potential Toms perk up and the old tail
stands up and the wings drop to the floor....
So what is it about tapping on something causing that reaction?

Thanks,
David

Try also imitating their own sounds with your own voice and they will probably answer you. Whistling can produce the same result. I think that it's a combination of asserting their dominance and alerting the others to a possible danger. On the other hand, the may just be saying, 'Please stop making that darned noise'.
smile.png

Our Tom talks to us all day too. Especially when we are doing some construction outside and using power tools. I love hearing him!!! I guess it is the same as a rooster crowing...he hears something and makes a noise. I love it!!
big_smile.png

Oh yes the poults do the same thing when I play a turkey gobbling on the computer. The boys outside gobble when I gobble at them too. Though I don't do it nearly as well as they do. Lol
Yes I guess it could be a warning that something strange is about... Hmm..

David

We call that "shock gobbling" when talking about hunting wild turkeys.my pet tom does it too.In the woods we use a locater call such as a crow or owl call to make the gobblers gobble so we can find them and set up to hunt.They will gobble at almost anything.A car door shutting,a braying donkey,a gunshot,thunder etc.I think it is a dominance thing.My pet bird gobbles at my whistle.My ringtone on my phone is my birds gobbleing.Me and the kids recorded them one evening and now when my phone rings it gobbles.
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom