Turkeys as pets?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by kari_dawn, Nov 14, 2011.

1. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    Quote:I have a little less than an acre with only about a third of it fenced and I have had as many as 18 turkeys, 22 chickens, 2 ducks, a lab puppy (70lbs) and a poodle and all are happy. Currently I am down to 9 turkeys (soon to be 4) and feel that is the right amount.

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    Do your turkeys roam far? Are your neighors close?

3. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    Quote:They occasionally fly out of the treee to the wrong side of the fence, tehn they spend all day pacing back and forth along the fence line to get back in. We tehn go out and open the gate. walk behind them herding them back to the open gate. they come right back in.

4. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    hm [​IMG] dunno if I should venture into turkeys just yet

5. mkcolls

mkcolls Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Ohio
    We have 10 turkeys on 2 acres. The have the largest fenced run, with 6' fence, but at 6 weeks they started flying over the fence. We clip one wing on each, and after 5 days 6 of the ten were flying over the fence again. At that time they stayed in the yard, so while we were home we let them free range.

Last month, at age 4 months they started leaving the property. We are on a state highway with light traffic most of the day, moderate traffic a few times a day. Several times last month we were alerted to their location by honking cars. They have crossed the road, and been in the parking lot of a business down the road. Yesterday a truck broke down on the road behind the property and some were attempting to help the mechanic, others were in the road slowing traffic, safety cops? [​IMG]

I was leery about getting turkeys, but they are sweet, always want to be with us, have helped in the garden, painting the house, VERY helpful supervision on the second story, they were able to see what we couldn't from their prospective on the roof, they attempted to do some electrical work on the barn connection, but ended up snapping the line and taking out the entire barn electricity and DH had to climb up 30' in a 25mph wind to reconnect. Scary!

We got them for meat birds, but since they are heritage breeds they are growing at a slow rate and very active so it will be spring before they are large enough to butcher. This makes my DH very happy, he really likes them and is talking about more for next spring.

I wouldn't consider turkeys in a suburban setting with the experiences we have had.

Good luck with your decision.

6. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    your situation is the reason I fear having them in a suburban setting. As much as I would LOVE to have other poultry, I just cannot justify doing so at the expense of my birds or my neighbors....maybe when I get some land I will reconsider.

7. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:Suburban setting? I probably wouldn't do it. Sorry! [​IMG]

8. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I have a Royal Palm tom, and a Blue Slate hen. I just bought these two little day old poults at a swap meet--had no idea what sex they were, so I was very lucky.

They are SOOOO funny and curious! They will come on the front porch and look in the window to see if I'll come outside. The tom really watches over my whole flock, even the hens.

He has been displaying alot lately. And he will gobble if he gets excited, like when he hears me say hello after work, or if a stranger is in the yard, but truly, they're not very noisy.

The hen makes a lovely sound, and she often calls the flock together when I come outside. Her and I will "talk" to eachother. She has been sort of "posing" for me......I think she really likes me and is ready to mate. Silly. She gets in my way, sits down and fans out her wings towards her tail.....

The male struts and makes a thumping noise around me. He will follow me alot. It's like I have a turkey stalker! haha I just love them both. I'd like to see if the hen will lay some eggs next spring, and maybe hatch a brood.....I don't know. I think they're safe for this year.....I can't bear to eat them.

9. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    haha lucky for me, the plan was never to eat them, but as to not do a dis service to the birds or the neighbors, I will continue my search for some land before I get turkeys...until then, breed research time!

10. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I have turkeys as pets. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by