Turkeys biting off ends of feathers

Mrs.Johnson

Songster
6 Years
Jul 25, 2017
Northwest Florida
Good evening,
I've been noticing my Tom turkey is losing the ends of his tail feathers. At first I thought they were being stepped on or it's the brush from when they are free-ranging. Today I saw one of the other turkeys just pecking at the feathers while the Tom was showing off and doing his Tom strut. I got the offending turkey to stop, but can't figure out WHY they would do that to begin with. They are free range all day and have lots of space to wander so I don't think boredom, but I'm at a lose. Google isn't coming up with anything helpful so here I am. There are no injuries or missing or damaged feathers anywhere else on him. They are about 4 to 6 months old.

Thanks in advance

Good evening,
I've been noticing my Tom turkey is losing the ends of his tail feathers. At first I thought they were being stepped on or it's the brush from when they are free-ranging. Today I saw one of the other turkeys just pecking at the feathers while the Tom was showing off and doing his Tom strut. I got the offending turkey to stop, but can't figure out WHY they would do that to begin with. They are free range all day and have lots of space to wander so I don't think boredom, but I'm at a lose. Google isn't coming up with anything helpful so here I am. There are no injuries or missing or damaged feathers anywhere else on him. They are about 4 to 6 months old.

Thanks in advance
Is the offender the same sex?

No... the other Tom doesn't do any strutting....the only reason I know there is another tom is I saw them fight (if that's what you call it.. the definitely don't fight like roosters) and it ended pretty quickly. With no injuries...except thr pride of the other tom...The offender is one of my turkey hens.

No... the other Tom doesn't do any strutting....the only reason I know there is another tom is I saw them fight (if that's what you call it.. the definitely don't fight like roosters) and it ended pretty quickly. With no injuries...except thr pride of the other tom...The offender is one of my turkey hens.
Possibly wanting extra protein. Feathers are a very high protein source.

My hens keep the tom's beards trimmed really short.

Mine do this during molt. Wonder if they may helping each other?? Or like R2elk said, may be wanting more protein. Or maybe she is just picking on her boyfriend. 🤣

Back
Top Bottom